stevebf

Oct 1, 2005
Ok, I am having a hard time with making this decision. I am 26 y/o, 6'3", 230lbs. I haven't riden dirt for about the past 8 or 9 years and I am looking to get back into it. I currently have an aprilia rsv1000r for the street so handling the power and maintenance is no problem for me. I am looking to get a bike for mostly woods/trails riding. I have been steered towards a KDX200 because of their value, reliability, and readiness for the woods trail. I think the KDX200 may be underpowered for me though. I am starting to lean towards a MX 250cc and then add a flywheel weight. I also want to stay with a 2-stroke. I am looking to spend at or under $2200. Here are my what my choices are as of right now:

1. 2002 KDX200 $1700
2. 2002 YZ250 $1900
3. 2003 KX250 $2000
4. 2001 KTM 250MXC $2100

Please voice your opinions between those 4 with any arguements on each and make any other suggestions you may have for me.

Thanks,
Steve

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Flip a coin for number 2, or 3. Either one would be a great bike for you. The KTM is just to much money for that year bike, but the YZ, and KX are in the ballpark. Given your size, and former riding, I'd steer clear of the KDX. They are great bikes, but you will get bored and want more power, and better suspension pretty quick. My .02, YZ165

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
I have a KDX and just got a KX250. Get the KX250 between those two choices. It's a great motor that has a very ridable power delivery. I added a EFM auto clutch to mine and the stock gearing works great. Also with the auto clutch, I don't need a fly wheel weight, but before I modded the clutch, I was stalling the motor out pretty easily. There's tons of aftermarket stuff for making it into any kind of woods bike you are needing. I even put a kickstand on mine. Ha!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I would definitely go with one of the 250's at your size.

FWIW, the KTM's I've ridden generally have a bigger feel and the ergonomics might be better suited to a larger rider than a typical Japanese MXer. Also, the MXC has an 18" rear wheel which might be better suited to your application than the 19" rear on the MX bikes. The fuel tank will probably be at least 0.5 gallons bigger than the MX bikes, too.

Honestly, I think you have 3 fine 250s to choose from and you will be happy with either one. The prices seem good on all 3 to me. If any of the bikes is set up for a rider your size (aftermarket springs, taller bars or seat, etc...) that could swing the balance toward that machine. I'd ask the sellers what size rider the bike is set up for. If one comes close to your size, I would put that bike to the top of the list.

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
a f.weighted 250 is the perfect choice. Id go for 2,3 or 4.

BUT once the 'winter' months (when people dont ride too much) the prices will drop. Id wait another three or four months. It'll be worth it

B

biglou

I'd vote for the kTm first, the other two 250's tied for second. I had an 01 250MXC and it was a great bike. Like Dave mentioned, it has the 18" rear wheel, so more sidewall for crossing logs, rocks, etc. But all 3 of those 250's have a close-ratio tranny, ie, not as low a first gear as say the kTm EXC's (circa 2001-2005?) and the other brands' off-road models (mostly 4strokes, I think-Yamaha WR, etc.). Depending on how tight the woods you ride are, that may or may not be an issue. You can also change sprockets to get the gearing closer to what you like very easily. That MXC you listed is also prewired for lights, but requires a voltage regulator as well. I raced mine in MX races a few times and it did just fine. At my level, that bike wasn't holding me back a bit. So, I cast my vote for the kTm.

stevebf

Oct 1, 2005
Thanks for all the input. I would like to know more about KTM bikes. What other years and models of 2-stroke KTMs would fit me and my budget? I have a close friend who does suspension for a living so I will be getting him to re-work whatever I end up getting. Are the KTMs any better or worse than a jap MX'er on maintenance/dependability? Back in high school when I was last into dirt KTMs were seen very rarely so they are somewhat of a mystery to me. Do you think waiting a few months to get something will make a huge difference in price? I do live in Delaware, so weather may influence prices. But an extra hundred or two will be worth the fun I can have this fall!

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005
1st - KTM
2nd - YZ250
3rd - KX250

This is a GREAT time to pick up a leftover or late model 2-stroke as well, since the dealers have totally lost faith in them. You might consider trying to find a end of the year leftover from the dealer if you can pony up a bit more, they seem to be anxious to try and wash their hands of 2-strokes so they can hype the overpriced 4-pukes.

It's almost funny to hear the salesmen at my local Honda shop frown when I ask about 2-strokes----"Oh they're not really a good investment, they're going down". LOL LOL hogwash old man. There is a gigantic following for 2-strokes, and even if they stopped making them tomorrow, there will still be parts where there is demand, and there is plenty demand.

If you can find a used KTM300 (2-stroke), you will be in heaven. They have a more enduro style powerband and supposedly 4-stroke like ability to chug up hills, along with plenty top end power as well. They aren't cheap new, though.

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
well, i have a kdx220 and its got power. You are a perfect height for it and it is a great bike. The only thing is it may be kinda small for you. If you really want the kdx you can easily make very close in power to the other bikes. By putting on a pipe,reeds, and getting your carb worked on. To get those three things would be around $400 but it is already set up for the trails. If you are going to be ridin trails and not track you will need to have suspension work done to the mx's cause they arent set up for the trails. If you want a kdx look for a kdx220. They have a huge amount better lowend probably better than the 250's. I mean the kdx220's really crank. I got mine for $1300 even though the guy was asking $2000 and it is a 2001. I ended up spending about $300 more on new brakes, tires, bearings, and grips. If you can find a kdx220 for about $1600. I would go for it. but ask around.

get it for $1600 then add
1.pipe.-$300
2.reeds-$55 for top of the line.
3.and i would keep the carb the same if you want more bottom end.
4. anything you want
5. bigger fork springs for your weight(kdx's are set up for 150pounds or less)
so your total would be around $2000 for a very nice set up.

the mx's will cost at least a good $400-$500 to get trail ready and worthy.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Go with one of the 250s. But keep in mind the KX or YZ are MX bikes, not woods bikes. By the time you really set them up for the woods, you will have more than what you would have in to the KTM. The MXC is pretty much all set for the woods. It differs from the EXC line up only in the gear ratios and lack of lights. Otherwise it is identical to an EXC. Personally, I would pic an EXC but would not shy away from an MXC. KTM reliability is absolutely NOT an issue. Parts costs really are not much different than the Jap bikes anymore (some items have come down in price in recent years!). I have had 3 KTMs - have rode the snot out of all of them. I just bought and 05 this spring and have put almost 1500 miles on it already - all it has needed is front wheel bearings (well, the chain and sprockets and tires are about due as well), and when it is time to replace it, it will be with another KTM! Then KTM would also have a hydraulic clutch - a real nice touch if you ride tight stuff.

The KDX's are good bikes as well. My son has one and I am in the market for another one for my other son. They can indeed be rather well set up and can be great woods bikes. I know MANY rather quick riders on KDX's who just love them. BUT...would still fall short of the KTM even once totally set up, and again, if you add up all the improvements, dollar wise, you are over the cost of the KTM.

But - if you keep this discussion limited to those specific bikes you are considering, base it in part on the condition of the bike. That particular KTM might well be trashed...then again, perhaps the KX is...or YZ or KDX! Consider the cost of tires, chain and sprockets, potential rebuilds etc. Those can add up to big bucks real quick like! Dont be afraid to push the sellers on price either. Factor all that in, and what appears to be the least expensive of the bunch could end up being the most expensive!

stevebf

Oct 1, 2005
This is a great forum, thanks again guys. the more time passes with me not having a bike, it seems the more I become educated on what will fit me best. The only bad thing about all of this new knowledge is that I think I have talked myself into shelling out for a KTM. I have upsold myself once again! I am now lusting after a 300EXC. I have found one that ...almost fits my budget. There is a local 2001 300EXC in great condition that needs nothing but me riding it for $2500. The guy seems to have taken good care of it and equipped it nicely with aftermarket goodies so he seems pretty firm on his price, what are the KTM fan's opinion on that model bike and its price?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Check out KTMTalk.com for tons of info on that bike, or of course in the KTM section here on DRN.

My first two pumpkins were 300s (a 97 and 2000). My 2000 would have been nearly identical to that 01. Great bike! You can lug that motor down waaaaaaay low, and it will pull like a tractor, or twist the happy handle on the right and let it rip. Some jokingly refer to it as a 3 stroke! 01 suspension was a bit better than 2000, but some feel the forks and shocks were harsh (that can be addressed with revalving and proper set up). Jetting on the KTM 300s up through 03 can be finicky - but once dialed in it is great (many many posts on that topic here - key i found was a straight taper needle - James Dean or JD Jetting is the place to go for that issue).

Price wise, may be high - but if it is seriously low hours, and really well equipped with stuff you would otherwise be buying any how, might be OK. Again, factor in any other stuff it might need (ie tires, chain etc.) Hard call. Let us know how it comes out!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
kdx220freak said:
You are a perfect height for it and it is a great bike. The only thing is it may be kinda small for you.

:think:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Many of my friends have the 300 and it is a GREAT motor. Lots more low end grunt than the 250. Some riders prefer the 250 as it can be less tiring to ride if you are into long days in the saddle. The 250 certainly has plenty of pep, too - I've ridden an '02 that really screamed on top.

The aftermarket stuff can be pricey - it could easily cost you $500+ in goodies to fully equip an MXer for offroad (especially if you add a steering damper). And you will still be down 50 cc to the KTM.

The 300 is a blast to ride - lots of people think it is the perfect offroad engine & motorcycle (I hear the '05s are even better). If you can fit it into your budget, you will really enjoy that bike.

Aug 26, 2005
stevebf said:
This is a great forum, thanks again guys. the more time passes with me not having a bike, it seems the more I become educated on what will fit me best. The only bad thing about all of this new knowledge is that I think I have talked myself into shelling out for a KTM. I have upsold myself once again! I am now lusting after a 300EXC. I have found one that ...almost fits my budget. There is a local 2001 300EXC in great condition that needs nothing but me riding it for $2500. The guy seems to have taken good care of it and equipped it nicely with aftermarket goodies so he seems pretty firm on his price, what are the KTM fan's opinion on that model bike and its price?

Ahh crappy deal, don't by that 300. :coocoo:

Uhhh, by the way what is the seller's phone number? :p I need one of those myself. I don't want to try to make my CR something it is not, although I'm keeping it for what it does very well (which does not include woods riding)!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
dirt bike dave said:
Lots more low end grunt than the 250. Some riders prefer the 250 as it can be less tiring to ride if you are into long days in the saddle. The 250 certainly has plenty of pep, too - I've ridden an '02 that really screamed on top....

I now have a 05 250 and have found it to be dramatically less tiring. But as I am almost 20 years older than stevebf - I figure he can handle it! But, I must say that while power delivery on my 250 is not "exciting" - it is extremely "effective". If you are in better shape than I am, (that wont take much!), the 300 can be both! The 04 and 05's were toned down quite a bit from the older models power delivery, yet still are plenty strong in my book. From what I have read, the 06's are back to a bit harder hitting motor. Dont let that issue scare you away from a pre 04 300 though - jetted properly and perhaps with a flywheel weight (I ended up with a 9 oz. on my 300 in fact) - they are a rip roaring blast to ride! Who cares if you two gears to high - just twist!

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
stevebf said:
I have found one that ...almost fits my budget. There is a local 2001 300EXC in great condition that needs nothing but me riding it for $2500. The guy seems to have taken good care of it and equipped it nicely with aftermarket goodies so he seems pretty firm on his price,

Here's a deal I know you won't refuse. Buy it, let me ride it for a year, and I'll tell you if it's the right bike for you. :laugh:

Oh, come on! Don't you like this deal? :nener:

Seriously, if you're riding a 1000cc street bike, the KDX will be boring. Go orange, and don't look back.

stevebf

Oct 1, 2005
I got it yesterday! Thanks for all the input, I am very happy with my selection. The thing rips! Let the tweaking begin.

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
I sure wish I could find bikes in that price range. The closest I have seen is an 03' RM250 for $3300. If I could fnd an 02' or 03' anything for $1900-$2100 I would buy it.

dez nut

Oct 9, 2005
Choose the KTM

I have the 01 KTM 300 MXC and I love it. I have a buddy with a 98 250 EXC and both are great bikes for the woods. Both have plenty of power but are much smoother than the Motocross bikes. They also have softer suspension which also works better in the woods than the MX bikes. I also have an 05 YZ 250 (which I love) but the KTM is much better for the woods. My daughter has the KDX 220 and it's a good choice too but keep in mind it is lower to the ground and has less "grunt" to get you up the hills when necessary. It's a good bike but I'd go with at least the 250 for a guy your size. Now days ther are lot's of good used dirtbikes around as long as you are fairly choosy about which ones you buy. They hold up alot better than they did back in the "old days".
Good luck.

stevebf

Oct 1, 2005
I am out of town now for the next two weeks so I am going to be in withdrawl from riding. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Top Bottom