2 stroke emissions restrictions - what's up?

iew

Feb 3, 2005
Can someone help me get a handle on the existing or potentially future emissions restrictions that are impacting the ridability of 2stroke bikes on public land?

Though I have not ridden one yet, a KDX sounds like what I am looking for...strong woods bike that I will not outgrow, trail riding, chasing my kids, good low end chugging, low maintenance and good price. I am 40 years old, 200lbs and live near Atlanta, GA.

However, I am reluctant to get one, fearing that soon after some emmissions restriction will be passed preventing me from riding anywhere except on private tracks or on my own farm (which I don't have). I read about California's issues and that 2 strokes (except for race bikes) are not being made after 2006. But is there a real threat against 2 strokes on public land outside of CA in the near future? Is this a State by State thing or what?

Thanks
IEW

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
try EPA and CARB website's for 2 stroke reg's

Hi IEW,
I used to work for HORIBA until 2000 whom manufacture analytical measurement equipment for vehicles. We dealt with most car companies, lots of oil companies and also most govermental agencies, EPA and CARB included.
I remember they (EPA/CARB) had websites which I'm supposing may be even better as time has progressed and freedom of information :blah: .
It may be worth spending a little time cruising their sites for information on upcoming reg's for 2 strokes. If anything is going to happen it will be declared in advance to give those that manufacture ample time to engineer solutions, if an outright ban is to implemented it should also be declared here? I'm not up to speed on anything nowadays, I just thought this may point you in right direction as a starter?

cheers for now...off riding in few hours and boy it looks cold out there with ice on the cars.... I'm sure I just saw a flock of penguins, a big white bear type thing and a guy with parka made of seal skin walk past the drive.... if that isn't enough I think one of my pumpkin riding friends must have been a hippo in a past life.... he seems to love wallowing in mud and is attracted to it like flies around s*~t....and I just spent hours cleaning the 220R so she is 'super ching' clean :ahhh:

Richard

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I would imagen that once and if the production of 2 strokes, in all their various guises, cease, those already in existence will be allowed to continue operatation. I seriously doubt the establishment of any Draconian measures which outlaw all current models will come into effect. Go ahead and purchase one with the comfort in knowing that many years will pass before concerns over it being banned are even a remote possibility. I live in Southern California, and 2 strokes sales are still healthy amongst certain models. The 2 stroke engine serves as a viable means of propulsion. It can be easily made "clean" and will always offer more power and less maintenance and simplicity then a 4 stroke

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
The CARB is not regulated any 2002 or older bikes. They do restrict the useage of the newer 2 smokers. I too agree that it is unlikely they will regulate the older bikes, but will crack down on the new stuff.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom