shed

Dec 9, 2001
I read an article by clive garner in last months TBM (uk mag), that said - if i understood him correctly - that he tried cutting the stinger bit off of a 250 2-stroke expansion chamber, then pushed it inside the chamber and welded it in place. I think he then stuck a bit of pipe on the end to direct the exhaust toward the rear of the bike. He said that it seemed to make similar power to standard, but with a similar noise level to the standard silencewr (he wasnt using a silencer). Apparently the suzuki GP bikes in the 80s were doing a similar thing for packaging. Has anyone heard of this before?

I also recently saw a picture of a good enduro rider on a 2-stroke that had a trials type expension chamber fitted to it. I guess it gives a better powerband for technical enduros.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
You bet! I have done this on 2 strokes for years. My first attempt was with a converted roadracing RD350. That bike was so loud even I could not stand to ride it. So I tried this trick (which was published in the "Two Stroke Tuners Handbook') with very good results. It did loose a tiny bit of top end power, but so what. Restrictive silencers really kill the power.

I also see a variation of this theme used on certain PWC (jetski) pipes, also with good results.

Chris

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
The snowmobile pipe company PSI made two types of pipes a few years back. They called them modblaster and stockblaster. Thge only differance was the stock blasters had internal stingers as mentioned above and where way less loud.

shed

Dec 9, 2001
cool, i might try it on a spare expansion chamber so I can make the bike street legal and not attract too much attention!

Top Bottom