2 stroke sputtering problem...

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Here's the deal. I'm a 4 stroke person, born and bread... I can deal with those and am not scared to tear into them. I'm also not affraid to tear into a 2 stroke but don't have the knowledge to diagnos a problem. The bike is a 1986 Honda 250R quad. It's 100% stock and original. I'm talking never had a new top end, set of rings, etc... Hell it's still got the original knobbies on it... I'm talking 100% original. It's been owned by the same family since 1986 and was the mother's bike till she passed away. Now the daughters ride it (one of whom is my best friend). It's never been ran hard. Maintenance on it has always been poor but it has always started and ran great. This past weekend we had it at the dunes and she was having problems climbing the hills. I hopped on it and sure enough something isn't right!!! It starts easy, idles all day long and runs and sound great up till mid throttle and then it just falls on it's face. Sputters and won't pull through the power band. Could this be just a clogged jet? Tear apart the carb and do a thurough cleaning? I'm going to do a compression check to see what it's putting out considering it's never had a top end. Reeds??? Does this thing have reeds and could they cause it? It's not a jetting issue cause it's ran great in this area and these conditions for close to 20 years and nothing has changed... Ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Khris

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…