200/220 cylinder & head interchange

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i have a 95 200 and all my buddys have 250mx bikes. i can't race in their class unless i have a 220. can i just buy a 220 cylinder/head/top end and put it on?

i know the carbs are different but maybe i could use the 200 carb?

anyone, anyone?

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You'd be a whole lot better off to send your cylinder and head to Eric Gorr and have him open it up to a 225. You'll get the porting of your choice, head mods, gaskets, piston etc for much less than you'd pay for a cylinder, head etc from Kawasaki and it will perform noticeably better to boot. I've ridden a 225 and can vouch for the excellent power delivery.

The KDX200 uses a 35mm PWK and the 220 a 33mm PWK . You are much better off with the 35mm carb off your bike so not to worry about that.

David

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i agree and i have considered that but i am only considering the change to meet the rules of the racing organization. overbores would put me in the open class but a stock 220 might be allowed in the 250class

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I'd double check the rules in your area. I wouldn't think a 225 would qualify as an open class bike but rather a 250. I'd think a 201cc to 250cc bike would be lumped together in the 250 class regardless of whether the stock cylinder had been enlarged? ? ?

David

Follow-up:

I had a look at the AMA Rules handbook and unless I’m missing something, and I don't believe I am, you have no fear of modifying your KDX to the extent it would be considered an open class bike. Displacements between 201 and 250cc would qualify you for the same displacement class as your friends 250s for HS, CC, Enduro, MX etc racing. Going with either a KDX220 top end or an EG 225cc top end will qualify you to ride the 201 to 250cc class. From what I read in the eyes of the AMA there is no difference between an engine displacing 220cc or 225cc so you are good to go either way.

For more info you can check out the AMA's home page.

David

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…