Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I'm looking into getting a nice, clean used late model KDX 200 or 220 as an upgrade from my cr80. Are you guys pleased with you're bikes? My dad had an '87 200 for about 9 years, and loved it. I've never even been to a MX track, so I've decided against a cr250. I was wondering what the powerbands are like on both of these bikes, and if there is much difference between the two. I think I'd be better off with a 220, as I ride mostly tight stuff, and would benefit from the extra torque the 220 has to offer. Do either one of these bikes have a hard hit, or are they both pretty smooth and linear due to their KIPS valve? Like I said, I think I'd be better suited with a 220, but was wondering if I find a clean reasonablly priced 200 if I should hold out for it? Also, what do these retail for new, and is $3,400 a reasonable price for a super clean 2000 model? Thanks :cool:

Bread

Mar 1, 2002
Well, I cant tell you much about the 220 as per me never having one, but I mostly ride with my cousin and his two boys. We all ride green, the father has a kx500 the 13yo rides a 94 kdx 200, and the youngest on a kx 80. The 13yo weighs about 125 and is getting close to 6ft. This is his first 'big' bike past an 80. He loves it to death, and it fits him just fine. He rides smart and I'd guess he only uses about 1/4 to 1/2 of the bikes potential. In other words there is plenty there left for him to use if he needs it. I'm 28, go over 200lbs and have a 96 kdx 200. About all I've done to the bike is a pipe and silencer and if I cant make it up a hill its rider error. She will also carry me way faster down a trail than I need to be going. I dont MX, I dont race, I just ride for fun. The 220 may give you a little more bottom end from what I hear, but what I say is if you run across a good deal on a 200 dont pass it up, you wont be let down.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
A 200 has more top end then the 220, but if you want a low end grunting trail machine, get the 220. Put and FMF rev pipe on and it will wake it up dramatically! The suspension is the only draw back of the two, but can easyily be corrected. You will be extremely happy with either, but IMO 220 is where its at. Both are great bikes though.

krazyk

Mar 28, 2002
The truth is if it says KDX you cant go wrong!! I have rode both bikes, and with the after market parts on the market for them you can fine tune ether one to fit your own needs. Just pick one and then you can make it do what you want.

P.S. I ride a 220 now, and love it in the woods, here in Arkansas most of the trails are realy tight, and I mean working handlebars thru the tree trunks tight, and lots of great hills so the slow speed power of the 220 is better for me. IMO

krazyk

Mar 28, 2002
The truth is if it says KDX you cant go wrong!! I have rode both bikes, and with the after market parts on the market for them you can fine tune ether one to fit your own needs. Just pick one and then you can make it do what you want.

P.S. I ride a 220 now, and love it in the woods, here in Arkansas most of the trails are realy tight, and I mean working handlebars thru the tree trunks tight, and lots of great hills so the slow speed power of the 220 is better for me. IMO

just enjoy what you get and stay safe!

DIRTBIKERdw

Apr 19, 2002
From what I understand the 200 can actually be made to be the faster of the two with the added pipe and silencer because it comes with a bigger carburator. A few mm bigger(2-3). I just bought a used 2001 KDX 220 for $3,100 from a gut is Austin, Tx. Everyone I talk to says it's very clean and was a good deal. I'm 31yrs. old, 6'3", 180lbs, and this bike is awsome . I look forward to doing a few upgrades soon to get the extra power myself.

good luck and good riding,

David

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
I have to disagree. I think the stock 200 is a better bike but once you port both, bore the 220 carb, pipe them, and other little changes the 220 really rips. Don't get me wrong my 200 with these mods runs great but my dad's 220 with this stuff really pulls out of corners a lot harder. I definately agree that both are great bikes and you can't go wrong. If you are going to modify and ride hard I would go with the 220

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
I have to disagree. I think the stock 200 is a better bike but once you port both, bore the 220 carb, pipe them, and other little changes the 220 really rips.
True, until you get the 225 kit; the 200 cylinder is better suited to the big bore than the 220, due to differences in the ports. Plus, the 225 kit is only about $400-odds are you would pay at least that much more for a 220 over a 200.

So if you really want to get nuts, start with a 200 and go to 225! ;)

Lutz

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom