mneuman1969

Feb 19, 2002
I'm a new rider, looking for some opinions / advise. I'm 6' and 215 pounds. Will do most of my riding in PA / MD / VA, mild MX (smaller jumps and tabletops) and mostly open trails. I'm not an aggressive rider, but am looking to have fun!

I'm planning to buy a new or used KTM 200 EXC or MXC. Which would be better for me? Any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Rick H

Nov 6, 2000
I'm about your size and I got the MXC. It has the close ratio tranny and a different ignition. When riding back to back with the exc it just seems to have a lot more pop. The only thing bad about the MXC is on road sections as you run out of gears pretty fast.I had mine set up for enduros and top speed is mid 50's. If looking at having fun a 400 might be the answer. With you size the 200 will take you anyware you want to go but you have to keep your race face on to do it especialty on hills. With the 400 you can ride anyway you want and STILL HAVE A BLAST !!

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
Have owned both bikes (99' mxc - 01' exc) and for the money i would go for the exc. i gear box seems to just be better suited to the woods. hold out gears longer 4,5,and 6, and the top speed of my mxc was just to slow when compared with other 200's. i don't know about you, but i don't like to ride my ass off in the tightwoods to catch/pass another rider and then have him stroll by me on the field sections.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i'm on my 2d exc & i've ridden an mxc. imo the exc's 1st is mighty low & the mxc's 6th is too low. the best compromise for me is the exc, but the best of all would be to switch out the 1st gears. i had my motor apart so i checked on this but was told that the 1st gear is permanently affixed & i'd have to replace the shaft it's affixed to, etc. etc. & it just didn't seem worth all that.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
on my mxc I run 14/42 sprockets to get some top speed cause internal gearing is weirdly low. my 125sx gearing is ok stock though. very strange.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey mike, i was on row 20. where were you? it was big fun! you going to the next 1? i'll be there, 200 exc in tow.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I agree with the EXC, plusher suspension, and for the most part after a while everyone has suspension redone on what ever bike they get to get it set for their size and style. You can take the lights off put on a cheap universal # plate, and save them for when you sell. The low first gear on the EXC is great in the real tight technical stuff. You can ALMOST ride it like a trials bike. And other than that it is virutally the same as an MXC anyway.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
IVE DONE ALOT RESERCH ON THE TWO
THE ONLY THINGS DIFFERANT IS TRANS MISSION
AND THE EXC COMES WITH TAIL AND HEAD LITE
ALOT OF PEOPLE THINK THE EXC SUS. IS SOFTER
BUT IT IS IDENTICAL TO THE MXC
THIS IS ALL ON 02 MXC-EXC 200'S THOUGH
THE OLDER ONES MIGHT BE A DIFFERANT STORY

Bezdelnik

Jun 14, 2001
My 01 Exc does everything I could ask for. It will lug down real well, as well as flat out hall. I do have a fly weheel weight so it slows down the hit some. I understand the 02's have a lighter piston which makes it rev even faster. You really can't go wrong with either. i like the wider tranny for the woods.

Top Bottom