mneuman1969

Feb 19, 2002
I'm a new rider, looking for some opinions / advise. I'm 6' and 215 pounds. Will do most of my riding in PA / MD / VA, mild MX (smaller jumps and tabletops) and mostly open trails. I'm not an aggressive rider, but am looking to have fun!

I've riden a KTM 125 SX. Very nice, but just a bit underpowered for my size; besides, didn't like that I had to rev it so high all the time. Also rode a YZ-250, love being able to putt-putt at lower speeds then punch it when I need it, but overall too much power and too heavy.

So, I'm leaning toward the middle of the spectum: KDX 200/220 or KTM 200 EXC. Any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
KDX or KTM

It's all about money. I like the KDX but, I'm a bit bias because I just got a 220. I'm 5'8" and weigh quite a bit more than 215 and my bike handle the big load pretty well. I'm a slow spode so putting money into the KDX to be competative not a big deal. Stock is fine for me. Depends on what you want.
Green or Orange.

Good Luck:aj:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I have owned both a KDX and currently a KTM 250, so I can "kinda" give you some input (even though mine is a 250) The KDX is a great trail bike, and can be ridden moderately hard. It will start every time and never leave you stranded. I had one for 8 years and never had a mechanical failure. I am not sure I would have taken the KDX on a MX track unless it was just playing around, for serious racing? NO WAY! The KTM is a great motorcycle also, but it is a more serious race bike, that can be ridden as aggressively as you can push it. I have only had mine 3 months so I cant comment on reliability. I would feel as comfortable on the trail as the track with this bike. If you feel that the YZ felt heavy, then you wont want the KDX either. At your size, I would think that any newer 250 would be just right, but the KTM 200 has the 125 frame so it is lighter and more flickable through the trees. Do a search, there is a wealth of info on the KTM 200, most people say it is the funnest bike they have ever ridden, regardless of their size or riding ability.

Top Bottom