200 or the 220?

Jul 1, 2005
Well, it's time to buy a bike. I really want a Honda CRF-X, but the money you have to spend is ridiculous and the valve maintenance is kinda scary. I've heard so many good things about the KDX that I am convinced that for around $4k it is the way to go, esp. since all I will be doing is some trail riding maybe once or twice a week.

So, here is my dilemma: Should I get the 200 or the 220? 220 is going out of production for next year and what I seem to hear about that bike is that it has some nice bottom-end but not much up top which is fine because I'd rather screw around doing wheelies. So, I don't plan on modding it at all really. I just want to put the gas mix in and go. I am coming off an '00 RM250 that I trail rode and was fine with. I just want something reliable with good snap off the throttle that can wheelie over logs in 1, 2, 3rd gears. So am I correct in choosing the 220 or??? I know this probably has been posted a million times but these threads aren't as searchable as they used to be... Thanks...

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
I love mine...it's perfect for the type of riding I enjoy most: trails. In a tight or challenging situation, it's snappy response and power is great. Out in the open or on an MX track, I'm smoked almost to the point of embarrassment by my buddy's CR250. It really doesn't have any top end to speak of. According to my GPS, when I was in 6th and about halfway through the throttle, I was only going 45 mph. Get me into some tights woods with turns and obstructions, and I'll have to pull over and wait for the CR250... :nener:

May 26, 2005
All I have on my 220 is an FMF Gnarly woods pipe and silencer and a Boyseen Rad Valve. Once you get it jetted spot on the 220 is a tractor. I've never ridden a 2 stroke that can be lugged around in first gear for so long and not load up. I had no problems climbing hills in Georgia and it's great down here in South FLA in the woods. Tons of snap for clearing obstacles but as said above it ain't no MX bike and will be shamed on a track by a pure bred. I'd also suggest lowering the gearing a couple teeth to help the stump pulling ability :)

Compared to your RM which is a Mid range monster (at least all the RM 250's I ever rode were). The 220 comes on right off the bottom. Also you can't beat the price :)

djr

Apr 22, 2002
Tight trails KDX is perfect.

My stock 220 with GPS watching, went 69 mph on a black top road. I just sold my P-C KX 250 and kept my KDX. For sub 30 mph trail riding and woods exploring it is perfect :cool: . Above 30 mph and on a track no comparison, an mx bike will kill the KDX :yikes: .
Dale

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
That's a tough choice and for me it would all come down to the price of each. Given the lower price of the 200 and the fact that it comes with a larger 35mm carb I would grab the 200 and spend the $400 I saved on a good quality o-ring chain, fork springs a pipe and if I still wanted more an Eric Gorr 225cc kit. The way I see it you'll likely need the springs and most people look to a pipe and larger carb for better performance anyway so the chain and 225cc kit end up being free upgrades.

David

kanrandy

Apr 26, 2003
:nener: I echo some of the earlier comments about my '220. Leave my buddy in the woods with his crf 450 but as soon as it opens up he flys by me. The gnarlier the terrain the better. Depends on where you ride. My gnarly pipe made a big difference- the one mod you must make, IMO.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…