matt775183

Mar 31, 2005
i am hoping to purchase a kdx as soon as i can sell my current bike however i dont know which is beter between the 200 and 220 obviously the 220 must have a bit more power right? is the diffrence huge?

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
Ok, I'll say it... There is quite a bit about this topic (I know because I recently made the decision) on this forum, do a search, or better yet, check the first topic on the top of the page. Generally speaking though, they are pretty much the same, except the 220 is tuned for more low end power, but sacrifices some top end. Their are different mods for each one that will get them both some good juice across the board. Do a search in this forum and you will be rewarded with plenty of straight forward answers, or just wait until someone posts a clicky!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Then after all that just buy the 220 cause it's the best :blah:

Seriously, read all the reviews and info carefully as I believe that some are a little biased towards the type of riding that they personally do. If your going to leave it stock a 200 is probably a better all around bike IMHO anyway :nod: , but you may notice that I bought the 220 as I like tight singletrack.

Your going to love either one so don't go too deep, if you dealer has a good deal on a 200 buy it if he has a good deal on a 220 buy that, unless you have specific needs for top end or bottom end I wouldn't worry about it too much. But then I'm an old fart who loves to ride on two wheels in the dirt, I don't really care what type of a bike it is, as long as it runs good :)

good luck

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Yes, the bikes are very similar, however I like the 200 better (my riding was all tight east coast hare scrambles). It has plenty of low end and decent top end. I certainly would not want to trade any of the top end, which is marginal at best, for more low end, which is already excelent. Also, the 200 is easier to mod for more power. The 220 has a smaller carb which will need to be changed before much more performance can be gained. The 200 will pickup significant power with just a pipe, silencer and jetting. Plus the 200 is legal in the >200cc class while the 220 must enter the >200cc class (which is mostly 250's).

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I just bought an 05 KDX220 & I own an 85 KDX200. The 200 has more topend punch, but the 220 has a great lowend punch. I find my self blasting through tight trails in third gear and the bike responds greatly. Also on snotty hills the 220 is a pleasure to ride. The lowend powerband is a pleasure to use, compared to the topend punch (HOLD ON & PRAY MODE)of the 200 on that same hill. Both are great bikes and if you ride both you will appreciate both for thier difference.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
It is worth noteing that the newer KDX"s have substaintially different engines than the mid 1980's models. The difference from a mid 80's 200 to a newer 200 will be much greater than the difference from a newer 200 to a 220 IMHO.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I just went for the 220 for the extra cc's!!! I wish it was a 300!!! Anyway, I figured I was going to mod it to my taste anyway, so I may as well start with the higher displacement. Once you change reeds, put on a rev pipe, and get the RB carb mod, you have killer top end and even more low end than stock!!! My 220 has a really wicked upper-mid hit now thanks to RB!!! It's sooooo much fun!!!

djr

Apr 22, 2002
Sorry Dale, this type of post belongs in the "For Sale/Wanted" forum.

Mully

Last edited by a moderator:

djr

Apr 22, 2002
moved for sale

No problem Mully. :nod: Just letting him know that if he is having trouble deciding and he lives near Southern Ohio, of a solution.
Thanks,
Dale

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom