hammerface77

Feb 16, 2005
2000 kx250 - new to me - suggestions? Pics.

Ok, I just spent the last 15 minutes typing up a long detailed post and explorer locked up and I lost it all. So in short, I just bought this bike, looks pretty tight overall. I have a service manual on the way and will spend the next few weeks before spring arrives doing as much preventative mainenance as I can think of. Greasing, lubing, changing fluids - maybe some bearings if needed, etc etc. Here's some pic of the new ride :) Suggestions and comments are welcome.

I've read all I can find on this bike using the search function and I'm aware of most of it's faults. (linkage bearins, bottom bearing, plating flaking, spongy front brake, etc.) I'm hoping that with regular maintenance I can avoid any major disasters. I ride trails mostly - and I'm not a pro rider or anything so it won't be ridden to it's max potential. Maybe flying through fields at high speeds and some hills & mud. :)

http://www.digistash.com/data/ae87a54e183c075c494c4d397d126a66/full_4971_p57103.jpg

http://www.digistash.com/data/ae87a54e183c075c494c4d397d126a66/full_4971_p57102.jpg

Last edited:

hammerface77

Feb 16, 2005
Oh yeah, for some reason the tires look really worn in the pics. They're actually fine - about 80% tread left which is lots for me :)

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Step one should be to get rid of the black plastic. Black fenders make you look liek a freestyle goon.

Just teasing. The bike looks great. Make sure the top end is fresh and enjoy the bike.

p.s. Black plastic ssells for a lot on the auction site, egay.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Mine has been very reliable for me. Mostly trail ridden on my end also. Keep an eye on that linkage bearing, I let mine go to far and it trashed the linkage it fits into. Other than that, only damage done to it was an ocasional tree jumping out in front of me.

hammerface77

Feb 16, 2005
Yeah, it comes with all the factory green plastic which is in great shape. I thought the black plastic looked good - something different. And it's funny cause I'm so far from freestyle it's sad - I consider 3 feet of air a big jump.... Maybe I could sell the black plastic on **** to buy other stuff for the bike - we'll see, I won't worry about it right now.

I'm going to replace the wheel bearings and seals - probably do the linkage bearings as well (or should I just grease them?). Discovered last night the rear rim has a slight bend in it on the left side. The tire had NO wobble and spun good. There are a couple stripped spokes so I'll see if I can just replace them. For the type of riding I do it's not worth me spending the bucks for a whole new rim and everything. If it's performance deteriorates then I'll look into replacing it.

Picked up some new reeds for it - so if the ones that are in there are shot I'll put these in. Piston and sleeve look ok (just from lookin in exhaust) - very very slight scoring (lines) on the exhaust side but that's normal. The compression is right up (180).

Thanks for all the input guys :cool:

hammerface77

Feb 16, 2005
I was going to remove one of the rad shrouds last night and the top bolt that bolts to the tank (has a metal nut set in the plastic) has been cross threaded and the nut is just turning in the plastic..... I don't want to rip it out so I guess the black plastic will have to stay. I don't know how else to get that off without totally wrecking it..

commandman15

Oct 12, 2004
I have had my 2000 KX250 for a few months now and they are great bikes. No problems and a blast to ride. I have geared mine up a bit in the rear to make it more wodds friendly. It does it all great though. Just make sure to follow through with all the maintence and ul be fine. EX:air cleaner, chain maintence etc.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
I just bought a new Honda thumper two weeks ago but I still have my 00 KX250. The bike was a good bike and pretty dependable and fun to ride. Im still getting used to the new bike In many ways I miss the KX. Whats funny was that I always got extreme arm pump when ever I rode the KX. After getting the new bike the pump has decreased almost twofold. The problems you stated are right on the nose. One word of advise, lube the linkage soon because they will tend to destroy the bearings.

Riding_Red

Aug 3, 2003
they all thought the black plastics were good nick. They were just kidding around about saying it wasnt. Yea, the black plastics look sweet with the graphics kit.

hammerface77

Feb 16, 2005
Thanks everyone. :cool: I love this board - there is SOOOOO much information on here.

IAny advice on taking apart the swingarm and replacing those bearings?

Not sure if I'll replace the 3 bearings on the rocker arm - it's an extra $140 so I might just grease them for this season and replace them next year. All the bearings/seals for the two tires and swingarm were about $225. Everything on this bike has been very tight as I've been going through it. there was no wobble or play in the rear wheel. 2 of the bearings was good - one was a little rough due to getting water in it and sitting for a while but after some lube/movement it loosened I don't know if it's worth the hassle of attempting to take all that stuff apart. (I'm sure it is but...) Preventative maintenance is good but I've also been taught "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" as you could make something worse...

I'll see how it goes.

I'm glad to hear those of you who own the bike have enjoyed it. I just want a good reliable play bike to last for a few years till I decide to buy another one :)

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Look into a pivotworks( its a company) kit. they have packages with all the bearings for the linkage, and another for the swingarm. A shop manual is money very well spent.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Congrats on the new bike!! I say keep the black plastic, who cares what the bike looks like, as long as its kept up and running is what counts :ride:

My 01 kx250 has the same problem w/the radiator shroud insert, keeps spinning.. Benn like that for a few years now.. Im buying a new bike soon, so maybe i will tear down the kx and go through it.. Great bikes, very dependable and fun on the trails!!
RIck

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
You need to ignore everything these guys say about black plastic. They are trying to steer you in the wrong direction. Similar to having your foreign friend put that rainbow sticker in his window...

My bike is a 97. I have kept the pivot bearings clean since day one. I have never needed to replace a bearing in this area or the whole bike. I ride a lot. The bearings will last a long time if you grease and clean them. If you avoid powerwashing, your wheel bearings will last as well. Dont run the rear wheel bearings with any sort of play. This will quickly scar the rear rotor.

hammerface77

Feb 16, 2005
Well I pulled the wheel bearings and I am replacing the front and rear. Pulled the swingarm and rocker arm (linkage) last night. The swingarm bearings are in great shape with no play so I cleaned and regreased them and I'll use them this season. The linkage bearings were pretty dry but I cleaned them all up and regreased them all and they spin fine with no play or anything. So, for this year I'm going to run these bearings. Then next winter I'll go through and replace all of them (make sure I'm happy with the bike first before putting all new bearings in - I haven't even ridden the thing yet).

I've never delved this deep into bike maintenance on my own before. The shop manual is great and I'm loving every minute of it! :cool:

Thanks again for the info guys!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I also had a spinning nut on my radiator shroud. Finally I put a pair of vice grips on it as tight as I could and was able to get it apart with minor damage to the radiator guards. (Or whatever you call them) No big deal untill you want to put new shrouds on. Sounds like you got a nice bike. Stay up on the maintenance and enjoy.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I have an 01 KX250. If you don't like the black plastic, try changing just the front and rear fenders back to green and see what you think! That's the way mine is. It looks good I think. I race my bike in harescramble type races. I have put a lot of work into it in mods, but overall, this bike has been very dependable. I've never been stranded. If you're going to ride woods, get a flywheel weight and a woods pipe. It's a world of difference. I have put new sprockets on my bike, new X ring chain, and recently, I put in a Hinson clutch basket, moose steel clutch plates and new OEM clutch friction disks. Today, I added a Panoram computer. Oh, and I have a set of plastic testicles hanging off the rear fender. It's a sweet ride! Matt

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Hey Hammerface, bike prep is fun, it's nice to have an off-season it lets you catch up on some of the maintenance that has been neglected during riding season.. Here's what I would look at:

New footpeg springs/posts, sharpen the teeth
New pipe o-rings/springs
New levers (if they are sloppy)
Top end (just rings if piston looks good)
File any notches down on the clutch basket, prep the plates
New clutch and throttle cables
New bars (aluminum) and grips
Grease the steering stem bearings, linkage/swingarm bearings, kickstarter pivot, brake pedal
Flush the brake fluid and bleed, spray the pads and rotors with brake cleaner and sandpaper the pads
loctite all of your bolts
repack the silencer, de-carbon the pipe
change fork oil and shock oil, set sag
new spark plug
new coolant
drain the old gas if it's still in there

Other than that just make sure all of the fasteners are set at the proper torque

It should feel like a brand new bike.. Have fun with it, my 2000 was an awesome performer!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom