Help Me Save My Trip!! Quick Answer Needed with 98 KX250 Chain

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Ok guys... I'm a block head and used rocky mountain atv's excellent web site to order a new chain and sprockets for my 96 kx250... Not sure what I was thinking because I own a 98 kx250. To make me feel even dumber I have ordered from them many times and when the web site suggested parts for my 98 I went "what's wrong with this site... I don't need parts for a 98 *change or remove machine*". Well I got my new chain, sprockets and rear wheel bearings in and realized my error since the 98 rear wheel has 3 bearings instead of the 2 I got. Fortunately from a previous idiotic error I had a couple extra bearings (don't ask) so my bearing situation is fine. Problem is my new chain is 2 links short (112 vs 114). I leave on an out of state trip tomorrow and will be really bummed if I can't ride... My thinking is that perhaps the chain adjuster has enough movement to allow a proper adjustment on a chain that's 2 links short. Problem is I am at work and can't check this until I get home (too late to place an emergency overnight order). Can anyone shed some light on this in the next couple hours?

thanks.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The number of links you will need also varies by the sizes of the sprockets. If you went smaller on either sprocket the chain will not need to be as long.

If it is that important of a trip I would swing by a shop and buy a cheap chain that should work for the weekend. Save the receipt in case the one you ordered works.

FWIW, I always buy my chains long and cut them down to the desired size.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
FWIW, I always buy my chains long and cut them down to the desired size.

He buys his pants that way too. :whoa: :rotfl:

You could also cut two links out of your old chain and use the old master link to connect it. Don't forget though, a chain is only as good as it's weakest link. :cool:

Top Bottom