James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Buy the 2000. Less hassles, cheaper (probably), and you'll already have the "magic" Keihin Carburetor that everybody and their mother will tell you to buy.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I have a 2000 and a 2002. I like the 2002 frame better. The 2000 is supposed to have the better engine. I sent my 2002 top end to Eric Gorr, put the carb from the 2000 on it, and have been very happy with the 2002 as a result.

The 2002 also matches the current production bikes, which means that parts are easier to get. The 2000 is one generation back, with all the negatives that implies.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I am trying real hard to find "all" the negatives about the 00 as compared to the 02.

Internally, suspension is pretty much the same (some changes to shock valving...forks almost identical), 00 engine is better stock and probably modded as well. Triple clamps, tanks, seat, suspension, linkage, swingarm (with some spacers, most other parts - even plastic (with a bit of mount movement) is all interchangeable if not identical. So the geometry change isn't dramatic.

Yeah, the frame looks a bit better, but I am not seeing a "generation" of improvement.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
James said:
I am trying real hard to find "all" the negatives about the 00 as compared to the 02.

Internally, suspension is pretty much the same (some changes to shock valving...forks almost identical), 00 engine is better stock and probably modded as well. Triple clamps, tanks, seat, suspension, linkage, swingarm (with some spacers, most other parts - even plastic (with a bit of mount movement) is all interchangeable if not identical. So the geometry change isn't dramatic.

Yeah, the frame looks a bit better, but I am not seeing a "generation" of improvement.

Yes, the seats are the same but that is about it. None of the plastic will work without significant modifications (i.e. requiring a TIG welder) to the bike.

According to my suspension guy the 2002 forks are an improvement over the 2000 versions. He's also a good friend of mine and has no reason to lie to me.

The frame is also quite different and feels much nicer than the 2000 version. The bike feels a lot narrower in the middle because of the frame changes.

As for the engine, I prefer my Eric Gorr-ported 2002 over the 2000.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Side plates require moving the two lower mounting tabs and using the 02 airbox. Not significant if you can find a welding shop. Radiator shrouds require you to make a spacer for the lower mount and you have to use the 02 tank. That's it. Fenders fit no problem. My basic point being that the bikes are laid out nearly identical...not that everybody should change plastic. Yes, the 02 and up frame is slimmer in the middle.

They changed the spring rate from .43 to .44 in the forks and changed a couple shims. I am sure it could be an improvement for some. If you send your stuff to a suspension tuner...then one set of forks (00-02) is no better than other as a base to start with. If you want significant fork changes, the 03 and up has a much bigger piston on the base valve.

I am sure Eric Gorr could make the 00 engine do whatever the 02 engine does...but preference is preference...no arguing that.

pradami

Sep 1, 2006
From what i've heard the 00-01 motors are the best thus far that Honda has put in the 2 stroke 250's. (tell me if im wrong please, or if you have heard any other good motors :D) I have an 01. And its got good power everywhere. I have a Gnarly pipe on it to give it a little more torque on the bottom end for trail riding etc.

Top Bottom