250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I found this 2000 YZ426F for sale for $1500 and all it needs is new fork seals ($160) and some welding done on the subframe(which my Dad can do himself). The guy who owns it has had all motor work done at a well known bike shop, and bought it from that shop 3 years ago. He said that just after he bought it he got a new head put in ( $2000) and some work done on the electrical system. The bike has had no work, other than regular maintenece since. The guy who owns it has ridden and raced for 22 years and takes very good care of his bikes. He rode it a lot the first year he got it, and for the last 2 years not a lot, becasue he had kids now which is his reason for selling it. It is all stock exept for a "barnett?" racing clutch. He says that it runs great and is really reliable, will start right up no problem (its -3 C here right now) and that I am welcome to come look at and ride it.

So, are these bikes good and reliable? I am a 2-stroke person and know nothing about 4-strokes. I consider a 2-stroke that hasn't been rebuilt in 2 years a ticking time bomb, just waiting to sieze. Is it the same with a 4-stroke? Is this bike a good deal? Any opnions and input would be greatly appreciated :nod:
Thanks agian,
250girl

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You can't do that, you're 250girl not 426fgirl, lol.

The piston service interval is about the same as a 250 smoker. There's alot more parts to wear out in the top end of a 4t.

For 1500, in cananadadia, that's probly a swell deal if it's pretty sound.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
_JOE_ said:
The piston service interval is about the same as a 250 smoker.

Not on that bike. It's a two compression ring piston, and it has a much more supportive piston skirt than the newer MX four-strokes.

It has proven time and again to be the most reliable of all the modern four-strokes with maintenance intervals closer to the XRs than the newer bikes, IF they are maintained properly. On an 8 year old bike that is a big if.

There isn't a lot that needs to be done from year to year, but there are specific areas like the timing chain, the accelerator pump, the clutch basket, and the counterbalancer key that need to be kept up with.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Wow, thank you Rich. You know, if you ever want to move up to Canada, you are more than welcome to come live in my bike shed free of rent. I'm sure my bikes would really appreciate it :nod:

And you're right Joe, 426Fgirl just doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely as 250girl. I think that is enough to dash all interest in that bike :nener: Plus, I am always being told how well my bike suits me, and that I totally have a "2-stroke personality" and that my bike is "totally me". What is a 2-stroke personality?? My bike is high strung, tempermenatal, and ill mannered, how could it possibly be like me? :ohmy:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If you were a 426f you'de be hard to wake up, obnoxiously loud, a little flat(powerband wise, lol) and a bit porky.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am figuring you add 180 pounds or so, then maybe you could pass for the 426 girl. That bike weighs a lot more than your smoker. Which, if you get rid of, can I have first try? Rich in Canada, yeah right, and maybe KTM will hook him up with a cushy job?

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Which, if you get rid of, can I have first try?

Why do you want first try? Sorry to dissapoint you, but I have had many offers on my beloved snazzed out RM. You are about 5th in line. :p

Actually, I am not even considering selling my 2-stroke. If I got a 4 stroke it would be for riding with 4-stroke mounted people who are tired of me screaming up and chewing on their fenders becasue they are maintaining one fairly even speed while my bike jumps around like an ADHD jackrabbit. And just for a change once in a while from the high energy 2-stroke wrestling. My Dad might want to ride it too, I think he'd really like the big , but smoother four stroke power. Mom might even start riding it. Its just that for the price, this bike is an amazing deal and could be a fun bike once in a while. But I would NOT ever sell my 2-stroke to buy a 4-stroke. I draw my line right there :nod:

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
one good point about the 2000 model 426 is that unlike the later 01' and 02' bikes it has stainless steel rather than titainium valves. probably no big deal to you but they generally last longer than the lighter titainium valves do....

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The 426 bikes were work in progress.

First off if you have never owned one, you better learn the TDC, pull the decomp lever and 1 full kick full stroke. If that doesnt work, you start all over again.

- or you install a 450f exhaust cam and kick it like the modern bikes.

There is a lot of "issues" to fix on those bikes. From the carb jetting, to the exhaust cam - or starting drill, to the weight and handling of the bike.

They do make good power and are a blast! But it does take some time and knowledge. You would be better off getting a new 450 4 stroke with aluminum frame like the 05+ crf or 06+ yz450f

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Matt90GT said:
You would be better off getting a new 450 4 stroke with aluminum frame like the 05+ crf or 06+ yz450f
I'm sure if she could find one for 1500 she'd be all over it, as would everyone else.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
_JOE_ said:
I'm sure if she could find one for 1500 she'd be all over it, as would everyone else.

they are out there! you just have to look. May need a few bearings and/or seals or shock work, but deals can be found.

Plus by the time you spend the money upgrading the 426, you would have that extra $500 or so to buy a newer model.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Local CL has a 2002 for 1800. another 03 for 2000 with a new motor, a bunch of 05-07s for 28-3400

point is the old 400s and 426s are not just jump on them and start like a 2 stroke. They have a starting routine, bad carb problems and the suspension was not great. Plus they are heavy. That is enough to discourage anyone from buying another 4 stroke. you are better off buying something newer or spending some money for a flywheel weight and jet the carb better on the 2 stroke.

And FYI any used 4 stroke is an EXPENSIVE time bomb.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Matt90GT said:
Local CL has a 2002 for 1800. another 03 for 2000 with a new motor, a bunch of 05-07s for 28-3400

point is the old 400s and 426s are not just jump on them and start like a 2 stroke. They have a starting routine, bad carb problems and the suspension was not great. Plus they are heavy. That is enough to discourage anyone from buying another 4 stroke. you are better off buying something newer or spending some money for a flywheel weight and jet the carb better on the 2 stroke.

And FYI any used 4 stroke is an EXPENSIVE time bomb.
X2!

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Matt90GT said:
The 426 bikes were work in progress.

First off if you have never owned one, you better learn the TDC, pull the decomp lever and 1 full kick full stroke. If that doesnt work, you start all over again.

- or you install a 450f exhaust cam and kick it like the modern bikes.

There is a lot of "issues" to fix on those bikes. From the carb jetting, to the exhaust cam - or starting drill, to the weight and handling of the bike.

They do make good power and are a blast! But it does take some time and knowledge. You would be better off getting a new 450 4 stroke with aluminum frame like the 05+ crf or 06+ yz450f

Bad carb problems? I had a 2000 426 and this is the first I've heard of that.

Exhaust cam? are you thinking of another four stoke, because the valve train on the 2000 426 was built like iron.

The counter balancer key had to be replaced on many (cheap, but annoying).

The stock clutch was grabby.

It was heavy - yep

The forks didn't handle slap down landings well.

Starting drill - a pain, but it it didn't throw odd fits like my CRF does

The powerband was one of the best things about this bike .. easy to ride and fast.

Anyway, I think everyone agrees on one thing .. an 8 year old dirtbike is an 8 year old dirt bike. It's hard enough to assess the condition in person, let alone over the internet.

If it's cheap enough, take a gamble and ride it until it until she blows (then sell it for next to nothing as a parts bike).

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I agree with Holeshot. It's worth a roll of the dice. If it grenades you can likely part it out for close to what you have into it.

Top Bottom