2001 CR125R Shock Problem. Goes down, stays down, no rebound.

Feb 23, 2005
Just picked up a 2001 CR125 and the rear shock seems to be dead. When you push the bike down, it just kinda sits down. You can lift it up, and see the full travel is smooth, but as soon as you put weight on the bike the travel is like 4" or less. I took it to the shop and had the nitrogen recharged, but that was not the problem. They want $150+ to take the shock apart, but I'd like to know the problem before giving them my credit card so to speak. Does it need to just be rebuilt, or are there other issues at hand?

If there is anyone out there selling a shock I'd be interested too. Thanks!

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004
have you checked the sag to see if it has the proper spring for your weight? set the sag first,then check the bearings in the swingarm and linkage.i also posted on your other post :ride:

Feb 23, 2005
It seems that the full travel is smooth though. Wouldn't a bad bearing cause binding or stiffness? The sag is low, that's for sure. How do I adjust the sag? Is it the collar above the spring? Tighten that? The collars are pretty much in the middle of the shock, so it's not like they are real loose or real tight.

When I sit on the bike, the shock goes pretty far down, not all the way, and if I bounce on it, it's just pretty much thud. Doesn't want to push back up. The spring seems ok, doesn't look broken.

Do those descriptions help any?

Feb 23, 2005
Hold the presses! You guys rock! Sure enough, one of the pivot joints is froze solid. I'm heading down to honda to see if they've got the parts in stock.

Question- If I can't get the parts, is it possible to take apart and clean? How do I take the seals, bearing etc out of the pivot arm?

Thanks again! You guys saved me $150!!

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
dirtbike_madness said:
Hold the presses! You guys rock! Sure enough, one of the pivot joints is froze solid. I'm heading down to honda to see if they've got the parts in stock.

Question- If I can't get the parts, is it possible to take apart and clean? How do I take the seals, bearing etc out of the pivot arm?

Thanks again! You guys saved me $150!!

No, it is not possible to take apart and clean. Your bearings are rusted and therefore junk. The collars inside the bearings are also more than likely junk. Basically, if it is rusty, it's junk.

The seals come out with a pick. The bearings require a hydraulic press. I just did a few bearings in the linkage of my 2002 on Monday and it took a few deep-well sockets and a 20-ton hydraulic press I bought from Harbor Freight. Whatever you do, do NOT break out the hammer. In fact, don't EVER use a hammer on bearings, ever. (Yes, I realize that on certain bearings, if you know what you're doing, it can be done but I'll stand by that general rule for novices.)

Your best bet is a Pivot Works linkage kit. It will be a LOT less expensive than getting the bearings from Honda and it will have all the bearings, collars, spacers, and seals to do all the linkages except for the lower shock mount (that comes in the shock bearing kit). After they are in, grease the snot out of them with a good waterproof grease. Something for personal watercraft is ideal. Then repeat that process often. It's a lot cheaper and easier than replacing bearings.

Top Bottom