after shock rebuild, little rebound

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I had rebuilt the shock (new seals and o-ring) a few months ago and put in the recommended 5W shock oil. It was really good afterwards but practicing MX the other day I noticed the rebound was pretty fast and I was almost to the maximum adjustment setting. So tonight I took the shock apart and mixed some heavier weight fork oil 50/50 with 5W shock oil and put it in. Now while pushing down on the seat and watching the rebound speed I would say it is even faster (than what it was by doing the same test). The only thing I can think of is that I don't really know the correct assembly procedure for the end of the shock shaft where it screws into the shock end which has the rebound adjustment screw. I reassembled it with the screw almost fully clockwise and I'm thinking maybe it should of been fully CCW. Anyone know for sure? I'm thinking that if it is assembled with the screw in the wrong position that maybe the shaft (within the main shock shaft) would not be actuated correctly (or something like that. man I'm tired and it's really late). I have bled the shock of all air so I know that's not the problem. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
Do you mean the rear shock? And you belad all of the air out of it? That is probly nitrogen in there and that is a needed part of the rear shock to make it work properly.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Today I took that end apart again and found that I hadn't completely screwed the shaft into the shock "end" before tightening down the backup nut. That error kept the adjustment screw from being able to fully engage the "shaft" within the shaft (you'd have to see it to know what the heck I'm talking about). Before correcting the error, there was 38 turns available on the adjustment screw! Now there is 23.

Top Bottom