duke

Oct 9, 1999
In the search for a sort of a do it all bike (single track trail riding, occasional west coast grand prixs in the 40 plus novice class) I came across a dealer who has for sale a left over 2001 Husky 250WR. I assume things at the "parent company" are on enough solid ground so that parts arent a delemma. So, what kind of performance characteristics will I find in this bike? The fact that the bike is suited for a "green sticker" is big plus since I ride off road all year long.

Bill

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
wr250 performance?

Very linear power delivery from the bottom on up,not alot of top end pull on tap,but it does rev out nicely.My dealer installed a 53t rear sprckt for hare scrambles/enduro's so that might be why mines a little tapered off on top,BUT the more technical/slimy/rocky/rooty the trail gets the more effective this bike is.I've read on this site the wr makes the least hp of any 250,but i've come to realize that just makes it easier to ride in adverse(lack of traction)conditions.Probably the best turning bike i've owned,it carves tight turns with aplomb!A little sketchy on flat hardpack turns,yet i've not experienced any headshake(unlike most of my honda's)very stable chassis at speed.Overall I am very impressed with fit/finish and quality and am thinking of buying my second europeon bike(husky)for next season. p.s.gotta love that husky contingencey plan!

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
I'd never hesitate to buy a Husky, they're the best! I'll be going back to one when I get my next bike. The '04 has plenty of power. The '02 and newer ones have an updated chassis, and improved handling too.

gixxerw1

Jun 20, 2004
I have a 99 WR 250 not much changed between 99-2001 so i would say you are making a good choice. The only issue i had was the air box on water crossings. You have to block up the bottom and install a one way drain or else even small water crossings scare you i plugged mine with a big peice of neoprene and bought an oem rubber drain from a honda.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
"Placelast"

Yes, Erics in Pasadena. All of my buddies ride MX and do little trail riding, so my needs are different. I am more 85 % single track/desert and the remainder spent on some of the tamer local MX venues. I once had an XR400 and liked it, despite its weight. I currently ride a KDX200, but would like something different, and a Husky is different! I realize resale value of Huskies in So-Cal poor. This isnt New Jersey, etc. where the bikes seem to have a much stronger following. But I dont indulge my money and time in dirt bikes with the hope of making money. Thats what Las Vegas is for.

Duke

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Bill, I'm riding the Te570 2002, the 4-stoke of the enduro line from Husqvarna. The WR250 from what I've been told is such a good bike for our stuff, District37 type stuff. The suspension will be soft for tracks unless your in the 150 range. Dick's Racing is the man for husky suspension. I got my for GP settings, so it works on desert and enduro plus works well on tracks with slight bottoming. Overall though parts are easy to get. There are shops down here in SoCal and up north if you need them. I've only need a few items due to rider error and not the bike. With the Husky you get a bike that has all the goodies unlike some of the other brands. If you do trails and tight tracks, run the forks at 13-15mm up and mount the bars over the center of the forks, it helps. Other than that, the 2-stroke should be a solid performer. Back east the Wr250 is a bike of choice with the woods guys.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a CR250 and installing the WR tank and WR flywheel. That way it's the best of both, MX and enduro settings.

ed

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
I second what has been said. I love my 2000. The bike is nearly 4 stroke in the traction department and has so much grunt you'd think it had an auto clutch. My friend's YZ250 has great power and smokes me in the open, but will wear you out in 15 minutes in the woods and thats with all the woods mods. The only thing that the Husky lacks is the 6 speed gearbox of older models(I don't know why they dropped it) to make it perfect. You also won't go through top ends like a Jap bike. Go for it! :ride:
Norman

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Norman Foley said:
The only thing that the Husky lacks is the 6 speed gearbox of older models(I don't know why they dropped it) to make it perfect.Norman

For some reason the 360 has (or the '01 Eric had on the floor) came with a 6 speed, yet the 250 had a 5!? Go figure...

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Norman

You made reference to top end replacement. How long, on average, have you gone before doing an entire top end?

Bill

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
I would say I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 40+, ride a few hare scrambles and enduros and a lot of trail riding. On the east coast where dust is rarely a problem, you can figure on two years for a top end. I did break a piston skirt a couple of years ago after a creek drowning incident( the very cold water stressed the piston). After pumping out the water the bike started and then seized lightly. I should have pulled the top end right away, instead I kept riding it. The bore is so tough that I just honed it out and put a standard piston back in. A friend's Yamaha had a similar incident and his cylinder was wrecked and needed to be welded and replated. Same for KX 250 of another friend.
Norman

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Yea, I have heard nothing but good things about the 99 and newer 125WR's. They are obviously great off road bikes and make a good MX'er for the raw beginner. But living in southern California with its power draining hills and sand washes makes a 250 a better option

Bill

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
duke said:
But living in southern California with its power draining hills and sand washes makes a 250 a better option

Duke, you have a valid point as they require an agressive style, although The Eel raced a 125 for at least a season or two in the dez; you may want to get his opinion.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I am well aware that Husky WR125's feature porting that it more applicable to off road riding. It isn't just a converted 125MX'er. However examples of these bikes are virtually non existent here in California. I must admit that it would be intriguing to own and ride one. My own personal experience with a 125 comes from my having raced a 1999 YZ125. It also made a decent of trail bike.

Bill

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
There is a thread about dyno results here on DRN that has a WR250 with fantastic output. I think the mods are listed.

Chris

Top Bottom