duke

Oct 9, 1999
This question could be posted in the riding tips section, but since its specific to KDX200's I elected to post here. In essence, I was recently I was practicing on local fire trails and single track just to get back into riding shape for later this year when I plan on doing a couple of west coast style grand prixs (basically a hare scramble to you east coast folks). As I did, a guy parked next to me advised that I should be riding the bike more like a 125, screaming it, rather then riding it like a thumper, which I was . What are your opinions?

Bill

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
The KDX is sometimes refered to as a "tweener", more than a 125 and less than a 250. Because of this you can use the riding style that suits you best. By changing the pipe and jetting you can completely transform the bike into the style. If you want to ride it like a 125, get a rev style pipe (top end) and a C series needle with jetting to match. If its 250ish thumperlike power delivery that your after a torque style pipe (low end) with a B series needle is a great combo. The KDX can do it all! Either way i'm sure you'll have a smile on your face.

-Maurice

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Personally I think that is a function of your riding skills, and how tight the trails are. I can stay on the pipe only on the most wide open trails, like quad freeways. Once i hit any kind of single track I need to stay below the powerband. I just don't have the reflexes to keep up with it.

For anyone who has seen the Kishwaukee Enduro tape that FRP sells, its kind of mind blowing. Jeff pretty much keeps that KDX singing between trees about 30" apart. Front wheel off the ground out of every turn...

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
to sum up... ride it like a 125 whenever you are comfortable riding it like a 125 (see video) and like a thumper when you are more comfortable like that (see your real life)..

Don't let some yahoo in the parking lot gode you into doing something you are not comfortable doing, that is the surest way to get injured and not be riding at all... ride within your limits (mine are somewhere between 125 mx'er and joe enduro.. I ride like a maniac at first, but as I tire I slow down and chill more... the KDX can do either.. it has torque a 125 NEVER will, as you seem to already know)... If he wants to "ride it like a 125", let HIM do it... and smile while he does.... maybe even take notes if you would like to be able to ride like that someday... provided he isn't the yahoo who can talk the talk but can't walk the walk (which most sidewalk coaches are)...

When you are comfortable "riding it like a 125" you'll know because your friends (not some parking lot critic) will say "dang dude, you ride that thing like a 125!"...

It's not hard to ride a bike high in the power band, it's hard to CONTROL a bike riding high in the power band, unless you are confident.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Definately don't ride it like a 125 in the "feather the clutch department". The kdx has enough grunt that you don't need to. I tend to ride high in the rpm band and that is simply being aggresive and quick on the bike (mx/sx). If I were riding woods I would adopt a 4-stroke approach to lessen wheel spin.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I think I was "bogging" the bike a bit too much in the corners by not down shifting enough. On my previous thumper bikes you could be real lazy. I just needed to be a bit more active in riding the bike. While, its the easiest small bore 2 stroke that I have ever ridden, it does require a bit more attention to proper gear selection then my old XR. I like the KDX better however. A nice balanced, compromise across the board. I dont think at 46 I could rider that much faster if I were on one of the more "race" bred small bores as offered by the European manufacturers

Bill

Top Bottom