2001 Husqvarna TE400 with TC cam (I think...)

FlyingBob

Jan 6, 2002
I bought a used '01 TE400 assuming it was stock except for the FBF (ProCircuit) pipe. It's always been hard to start. The jetting was factory stock. Valves set to specs. Idle fuel screw (2 turns) & idle speed set by tach. Bike has big time compression. No smoke from exhaust.

Went from a 60 pilot & pilot atomizer to a pair of 70's. Still have stock MJ @170, needle on 3rd clip.

Bike started easier, but still not good or consistant, regardless of various drills. When stopped and idling the bike loads up and needs a blip of the throttle to keep from dying. I checked & recleaned the start circuit plunger, no crap there, cable had slack, too. The float level was on the money, again. I purchased a new needle & seat for insurance.

The bike is good off the line, but a 97 XR400 beat me 4 out of 5 runs. I'm stunned.

NOW, I've decided to check the lobe center on my cam, lobes, change to the 610 rocker adjusting screws, tighten up my rocker side clearances (they are @ .018) & rocker shaft bolt fit.

The cams are: exh 1.361 & int 1.364 versus stock @ exh 1.307 & int 1.315 {TE570 cams spec exh 1.34 & int 1.34}

I would like comments on what you guys think I should end up with my jetting and why. Also, comments on running a cam with more lift.

I can't compare carb settings as the 570 uses a 40 mm vs 400's 36.

Any recommendations on the engine settings? Cam specs. etc?

Thanks

Top Bottom