2001 KDX220R Vs. 2005 KDX220R, Changes?

JWRFlame

Mar 10, 2004
Help please.

I found a 2001 KDX2001, bone stock, hardly ridden (which could be bad?) for a good price. I could always buy a new one, 2005 and be sure about the bike, but?

Has there been any changes between 2001 and 2005 that a guy should be aware of? I did notice the frame is painted green on the 2001.

I did a few searches here and couldn't find out much. Thanks

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
BNG is all I'm aware of.... (Bold New Graphics). Have someone familar with bike maintenance check it out, regardless of hours. The bike may have not been ridden much, but then again it could have sat outside for 3 years.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Other than paint and graphics...none, no changes. Same bike since it was introduced.

yorinda

Mar 13, 2004
I probably don't need to mention this, but if you are not familiar with the KDX, it is easy to assume that the resetable tripmeter it has is an odometer. Many ads are found for KDXs listing low mileage, when in fact it is the low mileage on the resetable tripmeter that they are speaking about.

Frontside720

Aug 12, 2004
How do you know if its the resetable trip meter or the actual mileage? I'm going to look at a bike tonight.

Kuejo

Dec 7, 2004
FWIW - I just bought a 2001 KDX 220 and I LOVE it

I paid just under 2K, and it is bone stock. This page (and Canadian Dave's) are HUGE sources of great info - I'm slowly beginning to apply a few upgrades to get a little more out of the bike, but even stock it is a sweet machine.

In California, the biggest advantage of a 2002 or older KDX 200/220 (over the newer ones) is that it is green sticker legal - the 2003 and up are not. This may or may not be an issue where you ride, but I suspect we're all going to have to be thinking about environmental impact issues in years to come, regardless of where you live.

I don't remember if you push the tripmeter button, or turn it, but it should be very obvious if it is a tripmeter - odometers (by law!) aren't supposed to be resettable (at least not easily...) - so don't be afraid to play with any buttons/knobs you see.

I'm a newbie here - there are more knowledgable people out there, but for 50% of the cost of a new one, I do not think you'd be disappointed with a used bike if the guy take any kind of care of it. That 2K saved will buy a LOT of upgrades...

Jonathan

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
It should have a trip meter. Pull the knob out and then turn it, you should be able to reset the trip meter to zero.

I bought a '01 220 in March of '03 for $3,700 (plus taxes) from a dealer in Toronto. It has been a very good bike. The info I get from this site has been valuable.

I would recommend you take someone with you who can help you look it over. Wheel bearings, steering stem bearings, suspension linkage bearings are pretty expensive to replace and their condition may not be that obvious. You might want to ask what the regular maintenance consisted of. Read the new bike prep in this site and try to figure out if the owner looked after things mentioned here.

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
Read the new bike prep in the KDX Tech Tips. Grease Bearings. Or worse case in a 4 year old bike, replace bearings.

tall1

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 1, 2002
I was at a A Kawasaki dealership a few weeks ago and looked over his new 2005 KDX200. The only change that I noticed (other than graphics) was the gripper seat cover. Sounds like you found a good deal, if the bike was stored properly.

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
Stored properly is the key. Regardless, you should look into draining any existing gas for sure. Also, repack swingarm bearings and lube everything. Get a service manual for all of the lube points.

Sitting in storage can be bad for bikes...but with no hours, some time spent doing a little lube and cleaning, it should in theory be good as new.

Good luck!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…