kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
Hello, everyone!
I'm working on my buddy's '01 KDX 200. The kick starter is sloppy and acts like it slips or misses sometimes when it is kicked. I had this problem on my '90 DX and I can not remember how I fixed the problem. I think I tightened up on the return/rebound {what ever} spring. Can someone help me please?
We can't wait till Hurricane Dennis is gone. Allour trails here in central Alabama will be good and washed out. This will make for some good/hard riding next week!
Stay safe through the storm an thanks for the help.
Dave

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
In the kickstart ratchet assembly there is a 15mm snap ring that should be on the end of the shaft. On mine, it had jumped out of the groove and was sliding along the shaft like a washer. The function of this snap ring is to hold the washer in place that provides the backing for the ratchet engagement spring. If the snap-ring pops out of the groove, the spring can move back another 3mm or so before it contacts the housing. This results in a much weaker engagement, making slippage much more common. In addition, my engagement spring was a bit sacked. The old one measured 12mm, the new one was 14.5mm. Combined with the snap ring that jumped its groove, it resulted in much lower engagement pressure from spring. If your bike is having kickstarter engagement problems , it might be something to check (part 480A on the buykawasaki.com website). Getting to it requires removing the right side cover, the clutch hub, and the spur gear/kick shaft assy.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom