2001 kx250 front won't bottom

newbronc

Jul 20, 2004
First up,hello all. I am new here :) . I just bought a used 2001 kx 250. I'm a big guy at 280. I rode the bikewith the stock springs and could not get the forks to bottom out. I knew something was wrong. I ordered set of stiff springs for the front and rode it with the oil level down to 110mm (70mm is stock). The forks still will not bottom.Ive got a zip tie on the left leg to help me montor the travel. It seems a though they are getting to about where I have 3" of travel left and just not moving any further. I did change the oil when I swapped the spings in. It looks like I'm going to have to tear them down. What should I be on the lookout for? Are there any special quirks when assembling the forks? I've been changing my own oil, springs and seals for years now but never got into valving. I do know the basics . I also know that there is something wrong with these forks. What could be causing the binding? I pulled the handlebars off and was able to compress the forks completely when I unscrewed the caps =not the axle binding. Help :bang:

newbronc

Jul 20, 2004
I'm getting 9 and a half inches worth of travel. There is about another 2 inches to be picked up somewhere. I'm wondering if one of the bladders could be punctured and consuming oil / givig me a false oil level reading or something. I've searched this forum and did'nt find anything simular to what I'm experiancing. Anyone have any more ideas?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It wont be the bladder punctured, this fork has a aggressive mid valve setup with zero lift, the later kyb kx fork has a nice mid with a small mift and a 2 stage setup.You will have to modify the mid to get this fork to work.There have been a few threads looking at this topic. Try a search.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…