bladefl

Apr 24, 2002
Well I friend just told me that a fellow we know is wanting to sell his bike, 2001 RM125, and I think i could get it for around $2100. I have not seen the bike, but my buddy said its in good shape from what he can tell. He just put a new top end in it from what I was told. I know of the guy and he is honest , so I'm worried about that.

This is what I have been looking for, but the last time I had a bike was over 10 years ago and don't know much about these newer bikes. Is this a good bike and deal? I won't be racing, just for having fun. I did a search and noticed that there seemed to be so issues with some of the 2001 Rm 125s is this something I should be concerned about and ask him about? I would really like to get some common knowledge about the bike before I jump in head first so any information is appreciated.

Also, is there a better choice in the 2000-2002 125 class Mx bikes. I want to stay under $2500 so I dont break the bank.

Thanks
:ride:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yep- a great bike, it was the first year of a big redesign and there was just one small problem with the powervalve linkage rod- make sure you check that and replace with the new one from an 02.

kx134

May 4, 2004
2100 seems low to me.

1.buddy price
2.problem with bike you don't know of

My bike was 2200 but it came with a ton of mods and extras. Without the extras (set of plastic, fmf spark arrestor, bills pipe, extra set of graphics, etc.) it would have been 2000. It has a lot of engine work and aftermarket parts, and it's a 99.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
kx134 said:
2100 seems low to me.

That is by no means low for an 01 125 in most of the central US. Perhaps the market in your area see's higher pricing on used bikes as each market is different. You want an example check out used bike prices in CA, I want to sell all my used bikes in CA :cool:

bladefl

Apr 24, 2002
Rm125

From what I have seen around here, North Florida, $2100 is about $300-400 less than the average used bike. He said he just wants to get ride of the payment and wants to get out from under it. He just recently sold his truck and now has a car and has not even rode the bike in about 2-3 months.

He said his older brother, the orginal owner of the bike, rebuilt the top end himself. His brother is said to know bikes like no one else.

I went and looked at the bike my self the other day and all is good. The plastics are looking good, he just recently took the graphics off and was going to put new style graphis on it but has not got around to it. The bike has pro taper bars and a new triple clamp, and also a new FMF silencer with stock pipe. You can tell the bike has been riden though because there is wear around the frame and motor housing from boots and stuff. The under side of the frame has some surface rust from riding. Other than that everything looked good. I did look for cracked plastics and any dints in the pipe and found none, so hopefully it was not crashed.

Early next week we are suppose to take the bike for a ride. I think Im just going to let him ride it for about 15min and see if there are any problems.

The only thing i'm leary about is the fact the top end was rebulit, I told him this and he said the was rebuilt as routine manitence by his brother, who always rebulits the top ends on this bikes after a year of riding.

Also, how could i tell if the powervalves linkage has been converted to the 02? What is the problem with the 01 linkage and what could happen if not fixed? Moreover how much does this part(s) cost to convert to the 02 model.

Thanks
:ride:

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
"The only thing i'm leary about is the fact the top end was rebulit, I told him this and he said the was rebuilt as routine manitence by his brother, who always rebulits the top ends on this bikes after a year of riding."

i rebuilt my top end (ring) every 15 hours of ride time, every 30 i did the piston and ring.. i wouldnt let it go for a year, unless it was only ridden 4-5x

if the powervalve linkage shears of you can blow your bottom end.. it happened to my 2001, i just replaced it with the same 01 part for about 4$ canadian

Top Bottom