randomhero

Apr 19, 2009
I bought my bike used from a credible dealer a few years ago. I used to ride it a lot but recently I have been so busy I have not been able to ride it. Since summer is coming up I wanted to get it going again so that I could ride it again. I decided that I would tune it up instead of take it to a service center. I have a repair manual for my bike and I followed the directions in it. I changed the brake fluid, coolant, cleaned the chain, changed the air filter, and changed out the spark plug. Since the existing fuel in the tank was a year old I decided to drain all the fuel out of the tank and put in a fresh mix. When I went to start the bike it started ok but then dies a few seconds later. I kept trying to keep the bike going but nothing worked. There was also gas leaking out one of the tubes in the bottom and the only way I could stop that was to shut off the fuel. When I open it back up the leak comes again. Does anyway know why this would happen? Also, how can I get it to stay on once I start it? Thanks for the help.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Like Joe said. Sounds like a classic case of stuck float.

It is possible that the only problem is the stuck float and if you can free the valve up it might be OK. I would try lightly tapping on the side of the carburetor and shaking the bike back and forth so that the gas sloshing around in the bowl will work the float some. It is possible that running some gas through it and getting the valve to operate will clear it up.

It is equally likely that in addition to the float valve being gummed up the jets are gummed up as well. This will require a complete disassembly of the carburetor, removing the jets, removing any rubber/plastic pieces (like the float valve and gasket) and soaking the hard parts in a good carburetor cleaner. NOT the stuff you spray on to make it look pretty, the can of nasty stuff you let it soak in.

If you want to do it just once get a new float valve and gasket set for the carburetor. If you are strapped for cash then be very careful disassembling the carburetor so you can reuse the gaskets.

Rod

Top Bottom