grackle

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 2, 2003
I just recently got back into MX after a 7 year hiatus and purchased a nice used 2001 YZ 250.

All my old bikes had screw to check the level of the oil in the crankcase.  Does a 2001 YZ 250?

I know that the fill volume is 750 ml.  When I drain should I expect 750ml out, or is there an amount that won't drain?

Are there any other quirks to the bike that I should know?  Any feedback will be appreciated.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
The oil level check screw is on the 01' YZ250 although it has been said to not be very accurate. I use a funnel and drain the tranny into an empty oil quart and remeasure using a Ratio-Rite. I don't recall getting any less that the 800ml I put in. I also use the Ratio-Rite to measure off the new oil. Only takes a few minutes and removes any doubt.

Good luck.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
On my 1997 YZ the screw is directly in back of th ebrake pedal. A person would have to remove the pedal to check the oil level.

I ride and drain just like everyone else.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
You dont' even need to really measure the amount you put in. Most people I know just add a full quart to their bike as long as it's at least a 125 or bigger. On a 250 it would make even less difference if there's extra oil. It could also make your bike run cooler.

grackle

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 2, 2003
I finally broke down and bought myself a yamaha maintenance manual.  I wanted to get a chlymer maual, but I guess they don't have one for the 01 model yet.  Oh well.

radiclrad

Jul 5, 2006
Bad Handlebar vibration

I just bought a 2001 yz 250 and the vibration on the handle bars are terrible compared to my 96kx250. I was wondering is this normal or may I have a problem. If it is normal can I do something to reduce the vibration.

davgra871

Jun 9, 2006
No check bolt. Drain out whatever is in it, if you have the time, start it up before draining it. Warm the motor up, shut it off, drain the oil, tie back the clutch lever, this helps get some of the oil off the plates. Working on a power valve? isse on mine.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
radiclrad said:
I just bought a 2001 yz 250 and the vibration on the handle bars are terrible compared to my 96kx250. I was wondering is this normal or may I have a problem. If it is normal can I do something to reduce the vibration.

Tighten all motor mount bolts and make sure the exhaust has all its springs and fasteners in place and in good condition. I don't know how the kx feels, but I never noticed any vibration issues on the '01 yz. Correct tire pressure can also smooth out the ride, but not do anything for handlebar vibration specifically.

Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom