2001 YZ250 cost of repair question

TN94z

Oct 13, 2010
So I am looking around for a cheap bike to get back into riding (haven't ridden a bike 10 years probably) and I came across this ad on craigslist:

The bike will still crank but not a good idea. The guy I got it from let his foot slip off the foot peg causing him to loose his balance ,hang off the bikeand over revved the motor trying to keep from coming off and probably spun a main. Still has good compression but you can see the piston has touched the spark plug

I know replacing the piston and stuff on a 2 stroke is not that big of a deal, but how much would you guys think it would cost to fix the problem described above? Of course, I would be thinking worst case without knowing what exactly happened. I figure I could get the bike for 400-500 bucks. What do you think?

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Total engine rebuild 400-500 - new crank assy, bearings, gaskets, top end (for starters) - maybe a replate, water pump, clutch kit (or more). Then the: air filter, tires, controls, suspension, brakes, grips, on and on...Used bikes that don't run are, IMO, classified as "projects". I would scrutinize the entire package rather than walking in with tunnel vision (that's me BTW). I'm thinking you could pick up a non-current for about that same price that runs. In any case it's up to you to do the research based on what you have to work with, what's within your means, and what your expectations are.

TN94z

Oct 13, 2010
Uchytil said:
Total engine rebuild 400-500 - new crank assy, bearings, gaskets, top end (for starters) - maybe a replate, water pump, clutch kit (or more). Then the: air filter, tires, controls, suspension, brakes, grips, on and on...Used bikes that don't run are, IMO, classified as "projects". I would scrutinize the entire package rather than walking in with tunnel vision (that's me BTW). I'm thinking you could pick up a non-current for about that same price that runs. In any case it's up to you to do the research based on what you have to work with, what's within your means, and what your expectations are.

Good advice. I'll probably just hold out for something that is running. I'm not looking for a project really.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
TN94z said:
Good advice. I'll probably just hold out for something that is running. I'm not looking for a project really.

Any used bike you buy will be a bit of a project, unless it was maintained by a professional race crew.

Dirt bikes are constant maintenance and if someone takes their bike out for 5 or so rides following a rebuild, does no work to it, then sells it (and that's just about a best-case scenario), there will still be things that need to be gone over. Greasing ALL of the bearings (shock, linkage, head, swingarm, etc...) would be one of them.

If someone has some big story like you were just told, I can promise you that it's probably a farce. People rag the h3ll out of their bikes, then once something breaks while riding, they tend to blame it on a specific in-ordinary event that might have happened during their ride. Normally, the biggest problem was that they never maintained their bike. Dirtbikes are resilient and capable of putting up with extreme conditions, but since they're constantly exposed to those conditions, they need constant looking over. Just assume that most any used bike you buy will need going over with a fine tooth comb. Filters, tires, grips, cables, and many mismatched and stripped bolts are common issues that would need to be addressed.

TN94z

Oct 13, 2010
wake_rider said:
Any used bike you buy will be a bit of a project, unless it was maintained by a professional race crew.

Dirt bikes are constant maintenance and if someone takes their bike out for 5 or so rides following a rebuild, does no work to it, then sells it (and that's just about a best-case scenario), there will still be things that need to be gone over. Greasing ALL of the bearings (shock, linkage, head, swingarm, etc...) would be one of them.

If someone has some big story like you were just told, I can promise you that it's probably a farce. People rag the h3ll out of their bikes, then once something breaks while riding, they tend to blame it on a specific in-ordinary event that might have happened during their ride. Normally, the biggest problem was that they never maintained their bike. Dirtbikes are resilient and capable of putting up with extreme conditions, but since they're constantly exposed to those conditions, they need constant looking over. Just assume that most any used bike you buy will need going over with a fine tooth comb. Filters, tires, grips, cables, and many mismatched and stripped bolts are common issues that would need to be addressed.

And I don't mind the normal wear and tear type stuff as I used to race a lot when I was younger, but I never really dealt with the bottom end that much except in my old mini-sprint car and we always had spare motors and what not to replace. Giving it a good going over with grease, cables, etc.....I am expecting. I thought maybe I could pick this bike up for a little of nothing and fix it fairly cheap. But I think I would be better off just finding something in better shape and paying the difference. Thanks

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
At least the guy gave enough information to let you know there's possibly major issues with the bike. The story is hard to picture and believe ...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
As long as all the parts are there, its about right. Even if it ran, I would do the list above, and emphasize go through the suspension. Something you can trust is about 2500 to 3000 imo. Offer 350? That is almost scrap metal price! Vintage Bob

TN94z

Oct 13, 2010
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
As long as all the parts are there, its about right. Even if it ran, I would do the list above, and emphasize go through the suspension. Something you can trust is about 2500 to 3000 imo. Offer 350? That is almost scrap metal price! Vintage Bob

So, if I could get it for 350, it would be worth fixing?

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
You'll have to look at it before you know. If it looks in pretty good condition and you like to repair bikes, probably worth it. If ratty and torn, maybe not. But there is a chance some fool will come along before you and pay the original asking price, so it might be moot anyway. good luck

TN94z

Oct 13, 2010
Well, I just sent him a message and offered 300 for it. If he doesn't take that, I will pass. I will update once I hear from him. For 300, I don't mind fixing it a little at a time since it's cold here anyway.

Update: He won't budge on the 700, so I am going to pass. I can find one running for just a little more.

Last edited:

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
TN94z said:
Well, I just sent him a message and offered 300 for it. If he doesn't take that, I will pass. I will update once I hear from him. For 300, I don't mind fixing it a little at a time since it's cold here anyway.

Update: He won't budge on the 700, so I am going to pass. I can find one running for just a little more.

That was a wise decision!

TN94z

Oct 13, 2010
Yeah, I mean I have found a couple of 250f's for 1200.00

I almost had a smoking deal yesterday. It was a 2002 ( i think) YZ250f that had a newly rebuilt motor top to bottom and the guy couldn't get it cranked. He said he was tired of putting money in it and was selling it for 600.00. When I talked with him, he said it had just sold about an hour earlier!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yes, avoid the "bargain" 250f. If it doesn't look, feel, smell and sound new it's probably a bad idea.........

Top Bottom