bwilley125

Mar 31, 2009
Chance to buy a mint 1997 yz250

I came across a for sale add the other day for a 97 yz250 that still had the original chain and sprocket. The bike looks mint. It has an fmf fatty and power core 2 pipe, ohlins rear shock,and a boysen rad reed cage. I think I can get it for under $1500. What are you guys' opinion of the '97 yz250's? Do they have any real drawbacks?

Last edited:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
My son has a '96 YZ-250 and I have a '97 WR-250 which is essentially the same bike. They are great bikes.

$1500 is an OK price but not great. My son and I both paid that for our bikes a couple of years ago when the economy was in much better shape.

The fact that it still has the original chain and sprocket worries me a little. These things wear out and should be replaced. If the bike had been garaged for the last 10 years then it would be OK (but probably still needs to be changed) but if the bike has been used a normal amount then I would suspect that general maintenance has not been kept up. If they didn't change the chain and sprockets I doubt they would have rebuilt the top end.

Chains, sprockets and top ends are best rebuilt before they fail as a failure can cause a lot of expensive damage. My recommendation is to plan on a top end rebuild ($250) and new chain & sprockets ($100).

Rod

bwilley125

Mar 31, 2009
The reason that it still has the original chain and sprockets is because it has hardly been used and it has been stored indoors. The frame paint above the footpegs isn't even warn. I offered the guy $1000 but have yet to hear back from him. Yeah if I got it I would plan on doing the top end but it would be a lot less than $250. I redid my cr125 top end a few weeks ago and it only put me back about $130.

Top Bottom