2002 125sx stock susp. =bad back?

dirtroost

Jun 21, 2002
I went out riding last weekend at the local mx track,I had done about 5 or 6 warmup laps and then went over one of the small jumps on the intermediate track as soon as I landed a pain shot up my lower back,I knew I was done it has been a week and i still have discomfort.This leads me to my question could the stock suspension on the 125 be harsh enough to precipitate a lower back flare up(I've had periodic lower back problems for years) or could lack of streching been the cause.Would a kidney belt or back brace help along with a more plush suspension.Thanks, Frank in VA.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'm certain a poorly setup suspension could jar you around enough to hurt you but take into consideration there are a lot of other variables as well. Body posture has a lot to do with preventing injuries, that's why you are suppossed to ride in the "slumping" mode to protect your spine.Not landing a jump on the gas can cause even a works suspension to beat you up. It is like tossing a flat rock into a pond, if you simple throw it up in the air & let it drop, it'll plop right into the water. Take that same rock and put some angle on it and it'll skim accross the water almost like it's floating. Your bike & back is the same way, landing a jump off the gas and the bike will hit the ground hard, land it on the gas & the bike will skim right accross the ground. In either case your back needs to be bent so in the event you do land hard the disks don't slam into each other.

dirtroost

Jun 21, 2002
ktm 125sx =bad susp.

Yes Gilbert you might be right about body position and throttle control,I know I was bent over somewhat but maybe not enough.As far as the throttle I probably was not on the gas upon landing as there was a corner coming up but I'am guilty of not always hitting the gas on the landing so there might be some validity to the rock skipping on the water analogy,thanks for the reply.I'am still thinking about reworking the stock suspension and getting a supportive kidney belt.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
You're welcome for the reply, it was easy to type considering I own a 125sx (with modified suspension)

Top Bottom