KTMBell

May 14, 2001
I have an 02 Honda CR 80/ factory pipe that I can't seem to keep from leaking around exhaust mount at engine. I've replaced the stock metal seal/ring that goes between pipe and head mount, plus I've packed it with high temp heat tape/pipe sealant, and even tried heavier springs. STILL LEAKS.
I was told to try two (2) of the metal seals together to see if that works.
Any advice?

Thanks,

KTMBell
01 KTM 200 MXC
02 Honda CR 80

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Leaking how?  Exhaust gases or oil?  If it is oil then you need to rejet.  My kids '97 CR80 spooged like crazy, from and back until I rejetted.

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
Did you rejet main or pilot also. Currently running stock jets settings, but raised clip/lowered needle. Did you do any changes on stock needle.
Any suggestions on jetting #'s. We live in Ohio...600 ft elevation

Pcar

Mar 20, 2002
This problem is a common problem to CR80's. If you put high-temp silicone sealant, like Permatex orange around the pipe and metal seal then reinstall the pipe, it will prevent this. I know, I do it on my son's '97 everytime we top end it. There is also a company that sells a better exhaust flange, with more material at the pipe/exhaust flange mating surface incorporating double o-ring seals, that also cures the problem. The link is www.atomic22.com.

I hope this helps.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
I rejetted  the main and the pilot leaner.  Prior to this the bike oozed like crazy.  After jetting the problem went away ALMOST completely.  I did not move the clip or change needles.  Throttle response is better than before.  I just installed Boyesen Pro-Series reeds, so I may adjust the jets again once we start to ride again.  I live just SW of Chicago so I think that the we are about the same in terms of climate and elevation.  What Pcar said will work to seal any leaks/voids, but if the jetting is off then all of the spooge is going to accumulate in the pipe or blow out the back end.

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
Thanks for all the help/advice. I'll rejet the main and pilot leaner and then try the exhaust flange or the high-temp silicone sealant. The heat/exhaust tape I used prior is almost like silly-puddy. Only problem was when the pipe became hot, the sealant seem to break-down and slowly leak out.
We're still using the stock pipe, does the same problem exist on the CR80 even with aftermarket pipes like FMF or Pro-Circuit. I'm thinking about a Gnarly pipe for low end. It desperately needs more low end. Any suggestions!
Thanks again,

KTMBell

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
You can maybe try having the bike ported.  I had the CR80 ported and bored 0.080 over, it did help some in the lower end but not that much.  Unfortunatley, minis are made to rev very high and the powerband is at the high end.  Even with an aftermarket pipe the bike is not making any real HP until about 9000rpms.  Go to the FMF website and they have some dyno tests posted with different pipes and bikes.  Even though you will gain some power boost it is generally at the upper rpm levels.  A larger rear sprocket will also help the bottom while sacraficing top end speed.  The power band on the CR80 starts at about 9000(@9hp) and ends at about 12000rpms(max hp at around 11000rpm with @18hp), I still have not taught my kid to ride at these levels yet.  When he finally does he will realize the full potential of the bike.  Good luck.

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
Vytas,
Same here...my oldest has not found the power on his CR 80 yet. I can't seem to make him understand that it is not about going faster, as much as delivering the right power. Easy to say, hard to teach. And he is not the most aggresive rider, either (takes after his Dad).
That's why I'm leary of sticking a bunch of $$$ into his bike. Waiting to see how serious he gets this year. Besides, the more I spend on his bike, the less I spend on mine, ha ha.
Thanks,

KTMBell

01 KTM 200 MXC
02 Honda CR 80

redrider13

Apr 2, 2002
I used some silcone sealent and and FMF spring kit on mine. Check your manifold to see if yours isnt warped, that happened to mine also. make sure you push back on the pipe whenever you tighten it up and that should stop it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom