2002 cr250 fmf "fatty vs sst" review

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i just purchased the fmf fatty because my SST cracked and i just wanted to post what i noticed upon installing the new fatty on my 2002 cr250 (the SST had absolutely no dents so it was in new condition before it cracked) the SST seemed to be a smoother hitting pipe it just seemed to roll into powerband with not much of a hit (for a two stroke lol) i would say both pipes are about the same in the midrange except the fatty seemed to rev quicker and the SST smother and longer (slower revving) but to my surprise the bike seemed faster with the fatty it came on the pipe much earlier with more bottom end power did not fall off the pipe as easily and even seemed to have more top end power. it was weird because the fatty revved much quicker threw the rpms but it did seem to pull harder and to a higher rpm but it did get to that rpm sooner but not because it revved less .. because it revved so much faster than the sst.the whole powerband seemed much faster the bike wanted the wheelie much more, honestly i have been a little disappointed with this bike ever since i got it (power wise anyway the rest of the bike rocks) and this pipe really made it feel like a two stroke should, more like the older cr.'s any way IM very happy i got the fatty i wish i never put that SST on in the first place it sucks next to the fatty. i guess if you are trying to make the bike smother its cool but it really made my bike have a slow revving feeling and the low end just flat out sucked i use way less clutch now it just didn't have the quickness with the SST and i don't mean just at low rpms even up top it felt like the fatty just seems to have a much wider powerband and talk about better throttle responce!!! the sst seem to rev very high but i think it was because it was reving slower so it seemed to be pulling for a long time the fatty defintly pulls harder for longer now with the fatty the bike pulls hard right up the the very top it does not slow down like the sst did with the sst it had a great mid but seemed taper off and take forever to hit the very high rpms i wouldn't say it had no top end but it did seem to rev slow if that makes seince,.it just did not have the same pull that this pipe does.i wouldn't go a buy a new pipe unless needed but when needed i would get the fatty.one more thing the bike also sounded better!! it used to have a kind of a muffled sound (compared with other 250 two strokes with the fatty especaily at low rpms) compared to the fatty im not sure why but it does sound better and the silencer was freshly packed with the sst and has not been touched seince the sst. :eek:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
One bike the sst works on is the 2001 Cr125-no other pipe helped as much as the sst-about 1hp more mid and top and more rev, but with the fuels we use its very risky-many bikes broke that year and most blamed Honda not FMF-FMF should tell more about the needs of the sst.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
the sst was better than stock (more mid) but the fatty just seemed to make more usable power but thats not to say that its not the best pipe on other bikes like the 2001 cr ect (totaly different motor)

stimps

Jun 25, 2003
The SST on my YZ250 caused enough detonation to cause damage to the piston. Big loss in power as well, probably due to the size of jets I had to run to try to stop the motor self destructing. changed to DOMA and the bike runs awesome with normal size jets. Stock pipe is brilliant too. Has put me right off FMF stuff.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I have an SST for my YZ250, and it will ping at the dunes unless it is jetted rich. The Doma loves high RPMs and begs for more...the stock is also an excellent pipe that has the best all around power that I've seen.

Top Bottom