'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Were there significant changes to the motor, suspension or chassis on the 2003 RM250, as compared to the 2002?

I will have the motor ported by Eric and the suspension revalved - so I'm looking for changes that will matter after that is done. Like, do the smaller '03 forks flex? Is the power-valve design better in 02 or 03? Any changes made to strengthen the chassis or for better reliability?

Lastly, I read in one of the mags that the 2003 RM250 is hard to jet and has a hiccup somewhere at low rpms. Anyone experience this?

Thanks, Mark

GeoffM24

~SPONSOR~
Jan 19, 2003
I have heard and read that the 03 is more refined and powerful. Apparently the 01 was a wimp, the 02 was better and the 03 had a great motor.

Right now I'm riding a 00 RM 250 and I want to pick up an 03 leftover next year.

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
I like my 03 rm250.Coming off 02 Cr250 the rm is great.The rm has a powerful engine,great suspension and good handling.The jetting,well I'm still working with it(2 1/2 months).The hiccup part you've heard is more like its crackly.You twist the throttle and the bike moves,very sensitive to input.All in all its a great bike.thats my 2 cents

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Thanks for the responses! I'm picking out a new bike as my elbow heals from surgery. I don't really know for sure if I'll be able to ride again at this point in the recovery - but I'm in serious denial.

Looks like it will be a left-over 2003 RM250. I'd like to get a better understanding of this jetting/crackling. Would you still have bought that bike knowing it gurgles down low? Or is it very minor?

Thanks, Mark

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
My 02 has awsome power, pulls hard, good handeling, and a tight suspension. It has been resprung and valved, but it is sweet. Breaks, Breaks are great man that thing stops good.

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
Mark,The jetting factor does not affect performance at all.Yes,I did know about the jetting,and yes its very minor.The only thing that Ithink is weak are the brakes(front).They are mushy.By far the honda has the best brakes.Motor wise it rips,not even deep soil will lug the motor.Very fun bike.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
I know the seat foam is a joke,the clutch is a joke,they eat pistons like there is no tomorrow and they feel 10yrs old in ten minutes,genuine parts prices are also a joke. Buy a yz. They are popular for good reason.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
According to the mags, they have a great seat in 2003. I'll probably also put in some Hinson clutch parts at the first rebuild.

I'm leaning toward the RM because I don't corner well and I'm hoping the RM will help with that. The RM strengths seem to be the same as my KX weaknesses.

I wish I could test ride an RM and a YZ - but I'm not sure that's possible. Until then, I have to rely primarily on the opinion of fellow riders and secondarily on the mag reviews.

I appreciate your opinions and advice!

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
DBRACE

How many RM's have you owned to base your "opinions"?

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
I run a suspension buisness and as well as this help my customers with jetting and motor mods to set the bikes up to suit them. Suzukis r fun to ride and thats why we ride ,right? I have owned and raced suzukis in the past and if i thought they were the best OVERALL bike out there at the moment i would buy one. But at the moment my customers and i r finding that after six months of hard use they need some serious money thrown at them to keep them race worthy.The quality just isnt there. But man those factory suzukis look awesme.

Top Bottom