2002 YZ Forks with Pro Action Valve Help

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
I have picked up a heavily used YZ250 for a good price, knowing that I must do much service to it.

I bought the 14mm hex key and the long fork tube tool.

-I first pulled the forks and drained the oil. (Very black & stinky)
-Then inserted the tool and the 14mm key and began disassembly. The innards came out but the valve on the bottom would only spin.
-The second fork came apart completely different, ei. the internals came out but the inner tube stayed in the fork. I was unable to get the inner tube out and the valve on the bottom would only spin, same as the first fork.

I was running out of time so I reassembled and topped up the oil. Now I don't seem to have any change in the comp or rebound when adjusting the valving.

Another note: The top adjuster on one fork gives me 20 clicks (which I believe is normal) and the other gives me 40...

I do have the manual and look forward to digging back in when I have some better direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i wouldnt ride it as is.

get the manual and strip everything down and do the job properly. You might need to make a cartridge holding tube (from PVC pipe) so when you turn the 14mm you can hold the other end of the cartridge.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Thanks bclapham,

I bought the long fork tool to take the cartridge out, which it does on one of the forks but not the other. The other fork took the internals but left the inner tube.

But, I can't get the valves out of the bottom of either fork. They just spin round and round and round.

The valves on the bottom of the forks must simply unscrew? Right?

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
The valve body screws into the bottom of the cartridge. if you have the cartridge out, the valve body is just stuck. Tap it out from the inside. On the other fork, make sure your holding tool is actually holding. and that the cartridge is not spinning.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Ok, now I'm worried :ohmy:

I took another stab at my forks and basically the same problems plus a big new one.

Left fork came apart with the cartridge intact.
Right fork came apart without the cartridge intact. I was able to see the bottoming spring and valves.
(NOTE: my manual doesn’t show the forks details well enough or the internals are different in my forks).

I put the cartridge that came out of the left fork in a vice and attempted to disassemble. The top simply won’t come off with reasonable force. I set it aside to try the other.

I still can't get the cartridge tube out of the other fork.

And now the big new problem.

The fork that came out without the inner cartridge won't go back together.
The inner cartridge cap just turns and turns (the bottom cap is not spinning).
The inner tube threads don’t appear stripped, (deep inside the outer fork tubes so it is very hard to see) but the cap has about 1/2" without threads and I can’t seem to get the cap started with the cartridge tool.
Does anyone remember if the inner cartridge cap has threads all the way?

If I have spun the thread, what am I looking at $$$ to get this fixed.

I would like to be able to get both forks apart for regular maintenance but this has really spooked me.

I’m really open for suggestions.

Thanks…

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I dont believe the cartrige unscrews like that. If I were in your shoes, I would look for the Race Tech video about forks. It shows how to take the cartrige apart. I bought mine on that auction site. I believe race Tech wants 20.00 for it.

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Quote {"I put the cartridge that came out of the left fork in a vice and attempted to disassemble. The top simply won’t come off with reasonable force. "}

It sounds like to me that you are trying to unscrew the cartridge cap or CV if so those are peened and need careful attention when disasembling

Quote"{ The inner cartridge cap just turns and turns (the bottom cap is not spinning).
The inner tube threads don’t appear stripped, (deep inside the outer fork tubes so it is very hard to see) but the cap has about 1/2" without threads and I can’t seem to get the cap started with the cartridge tool.
Does anyone remember if the inner cartridge cap has threads all the way?"}

It does have about a 1/4 inch or so with out threads. If the peens were not drilled they will mess up the threads upon reinstalation. So I wouldn't force the issue.
Personally I would take it to your nearest suspension guy and let him have a look. It might not be to late and on the other hand it might.
The cartridges are not cheap. but if you do need one checkout a Honda 125 parts I forget the year but I think it might be 98 or somewhere in that range. but there the cheapest. Maybe someone else knows what year it was?

Russ

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
So the cartridge cap that came off when the cartridge removal tool was used was not supposed to. :ohmy:

The one that came out correctly does have two peened indents and makes sense that it didn't come apart easily.

I think it is time to concede and take em to the pros. I'm not normally a guy that gives in but I'm not liking the looks of what is in front of me...

Thanks for your replies, and if anyone has another recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Top Bottom