KYB Works kit - Leaky Fork Question

Flat-Line

Oct 20, 2007
My forks are leaking on my 2005 KX 250. I purchased a manual to help me take the forks apart but it was of no help because i have after market forks. I have been online for several hours today looking for a schematic for these (KYB) forks.

i have come across several online tutorials but every tutorial is somewhat useless.

I started taking the forks apart according to the manual and thats when i figured out that the manual i have is useless.

I think that i half to separate the inner chamber from the upper and lower tube. is this correct? if so how?

In one of the tutorials i looked at shows the spring at the top of the fork attached closely to the top fork cap, with a nut that you unscrew to detach the spring from the top fork cap.

On my KYB forks i cannot figure out how to detach the top fork cap from the inner chamber. (I hope that makes sense.)

Do i half to use the big 14mm hex wrench and attack the disassembly from the bottom of the fork?

Does anyone have a good tutorial to dissemble later model KYB forks?

I can send any custom pics if you would like. my email is jasoncarothers at gmail drop me a line if you would like a pic. thank in advance guys :)

mop

Mar 28, 2003
FLATLINE:
First of all, WHAT kind of aftermarket fork do you have? Pro Circuit SHOWA kit?......... KYB kit?.............. Greeves leading link? This is vital information to know how to help you.
If you have a late style "twin chamber" fork like the SHOWA kit or KYB kit, then you need some special tools. The main spring is located in the bottom of the fork, not the top like the earlier models. An easy way to tell is if the top fork cap has a very large outside hex construction with a smaller, "inner" cap. To get the cartridge and spring out, you must unscrew the large outside hex (you will need the correct tool) from the outer tube, then this will allow you to compress the outer tube and inner tube exposing the top of the cartridge. YOu can drain the oil from the inside by turning it upside down and allowing the oil to drain out. Next, secure the axle bracket in a vise, and loosen the bolt (either an allen hex or bolt head) until it spins freely and you can feel the threads are all the way out. NExt, compress the top of the fork cartridge into the outer/inner tubes, and the bottom bolt should extend out against spring tension. There is a special tool for holding the bottom bolt extended out, which is a flat plate with a notch cut out of it. This allows you to remove the bottom bolt from the piston rod by loosening the jam nut. Now you can remove the cartridge and piston rod from the fork, and change the fork seals.....

MOP...

Top Bottom