2003 cr250 fork seal anguish!

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
I have a 2003 CR250 for a little over a year that I ride on the weekends but never have raced. The problem is that I have gone through 4 sets of seals already. I dont know what the problem is!! I try to clean the down tubes after every ride but they seem to leak after every couple months. I am using genuine honda seals and I've looked over the tubes and don't see any scratches or nicks. Do you guys have any advice?

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Make sure your forks aren't binding.

Also, I don't know how soon after each ride you clean them but if you let mud dry on the tubes while you are resting, and then go ride it again, you will likely get another leak. I try to check the tubes each time I take a break and wipe them off if necessary. Also, wipe them off before you strap it down to haul it home...same thing, if mud dries on the tubes and you compress it under the seals when you strap it down, you will most likely get a leak.

Mine still leak about 3 times a year but I have become quite skilled in disassembling the forks and cleaning the seals.

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
Thanks James. How do you know if the forks are binding? (I'm not familiar with that) Also, what do you use to clean off the tubes between rides? like a cloth or what? Can you tell me the technique you use to clean them... I was thinking of buying some sort of soft bristled brush to throughly clean the wipers and the tubes off after my rides. (is it advisable to use something like brake cleaner to get the tubes and wiper clean?)

Also, when putting new seals and wipers on is there some sort of assembly lube to use? My book says to coat the lips in fork oil but I think I heard of some sort of grease or lube.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
It is hard to really tell if your forks are binding, the key though is to set them up properly in the first place to avoid this. The way you do that is to make sure the axle is lubed up so it can slide in the fork tubes easily. Tighten only one side up (of the axle) and leave the other side free to move. Then take a small screw driver and lightly wedge it into the pincer clasp on the other still loose fork leg. Now get on the bike and push up and down on the forks several times and your tubes will now be aligned and shouldnt bind. Remove the screw driver and tighten the pincer clamp bolts.

As far as cleaning the tubes, I would think if you stopped in the same spot, you could have a small jug of water and a rag, better yet a spray bottle of water and a rag. Have that ready for when you stop and you can easily spray them down each time you stop. Hope this helps.

Mike

TravisP

Sep 11, 2003
when centering the forks the right fork is what they call a floating fork this is the one you leave loose.

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
Thanks for the help guys. I think it is probably happening because of mud and grit. I need to follow a better cleaning regimen. When I install the new seals, should I use just fork oil or find that grease stuff to lube the seal lips?

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
pro2k,

A total complete teardown/cleaning is neccessary. Internal contamination could be causing the problem as well. Both the midvalve and basevalve pistons need to be removed to facilitate complete cleaning.

Take Care,
John Curea
MX-TECH East Coast

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I usually only use fork oil on the seals. Grease tends to hold dirt in my opinion. A towel will work fine to wipe the fork tubes off between rides. Water or WD40 will help remove the dirt. I wouldn't use brake cleaner as that would remove the film of lubricant. You want to avoid scratching the tubes.

I agree with John, when you change the seals, make sure everything is clean, but I don't know why you'd have to break down the inner cartridge for a leaky seal on the outer tubes? Not disagreeing John, just curious.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
do the busness card trick every so often and clean out the dirt, also a trick i have learned is take the dust seal off let them drop down and clean up in the gap in between the dust seal and oil seal next take some greese and spread a ring of greese around the fork leg just below the seal on each side, then pump the suspension this will get all the dirt and crap up in the seals out and will stick to the greese whipe off all the greese real good put the dust seals back lil trick i picked up from one of the yamaha mechanics at work. hope this helps....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…