Tsunami6367

Sep 26, 2002
Hello Guys, new to the forum. Just bought a new KDX 220R. Looking for some simple performance mods to make or performance parts to install. I plan on doing mostly trail riding in NE Ohio and eastern PA. Not looking at getting to radical yet. Last bikes were an 89 CR250 and 92 DR350. The wife and I just had twin boys so we are getting off the street and back in the dirt where it's safer. Thanks for the input.

The Axman

Feb 17, 2002
I bought a new KDX 220 earlier this year. The first thing I did was get new springs for the forks and shock. The stockers are for very light riders (150 lb range). The new springs made a huge improvement on handling. I just called Fredette and explained my typical riding conditions and weight. His recommendations were spot on. While we are on the suspension, it is highly recommended to regrease all bearings in the suspension. As far as engine mods go follow the Hop-up guide on the "Tech Tips" page at Canadien Dave's JustKDX web site. If you are going to mod the engine the first thing I would do is change the piston. There have been a few horror stories posted about the skirt breaking on the stock piston. Another valuable purchase is the service manual. Good Luck, Ax

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The first 'mod' that has to be done to a new bike is to 'modify' the 'got no grease' situation in the shock linkage and the steering stem. Your choices are: 1. Do it now 2. Replace a bunch of stuff later.

..later being within a year if you do very much riding at all.

'Free' performance mods are air box modification and correct jetting. Those are listed on CDave's site as axman sayeth....and it is here:
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Setting up the suspension properly would be really high on my list of priorities. I'd also want go through the bike and ensure all the linkage etc is properly greases, fine tune the jetting and consider modifying the air box lid.

You should be able to find most of the info you're after on the JustKDX site. Click on Tech Tips, then New Bike Prep etc to find the info you're after.

Congrats on the twins!

David

mbern3

Aug 26, 2002
I just bought a new 2002 kdx 220..........there apparently aren't any differences between the two. I put an FMF gnarly pipe and FMF spark arrestor, it's actual name slips my mind right now, but it is wonderful.
I currently have the stock 13 tooth front sprocket, but plan on replacing with a 12 tooth to get a little more low end. Try the pipe first then decide if anything else is needed, would be my suggestion. This is my second kdx, had a 1992 250, when i sold it i voweled to get another, it like a dream come true. I hope you enjoy it as much too.

munich

Jul 29, 2002
Just read all the previous post you can read and you will find plenty of things to do to your bike. I did most of the recomendation I found and my bike is awesome. I have 2 things left to try a WER stabilizer (on it's way) and a heavier fly wheel.

Good luck with your bike and start saving for bikes for the boys,
FOG

et998

Mar 24, 2002
the stock tires are not ,for the most part ,for any type of riding on the
east coast.the same with the hanguards.change both for immediate improvements in handling and confidence in tight woods.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom