joedog

Dec 13, 2002
I just recently purchased a new KLX and was wandering what would be the best exauhst modifications for it. Also I would like to know if there are any other mods to improve horsepower and wieght.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
you could start with a high flow aftermarket exhaust, like an FMF or Big Gunn or supertrapp, plus a K&N air filter with some custom holes tapped in the air intake box. and if its the same as the DRZ400, which i think it is, theres all kinds of other things you might do.

as for wieght reduction...good luck. i'm sure it can be done.

jeremiah

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Do a search in the Thumper section under DRZ400.  There are some websites that you can visit.  The easiest and cheapest mod would be to rejet and open the airbox.  Or try a DynoJet kit.  If you want to spend about $400-500 you can buy an aftermarket exhaust and shave off about 15lbs.  Another quick fix is to drop down the countershaft sprocket one tooth.  I did this and there as a noticeable improvement in low end.  I think that next I am going to open air box and then buy a 47t rear sprocket.  Good luck.

motorider

Feb 4, 2000
i just bought a 2003 klx400 and i run a leo vince exhaust, it gives it a lot more go down low and a bit more up top. as far as jetting goes the standard jetting we get on the australian bikes is fine even with aftermarket pipe (165 mainjet).
i am a motorcycle mechanic in austalia, when we get new klx's in they have a restcrictor in the inlet manifold, im not sure wether US ones have the same thing because the austalian version is regestrable.

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
Please read the post "AMA's Bill Dart on Thumper pipes" in the "Thumper Central" board.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=36963

Top Bottom