drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
All the European manufacturers have usually announced their new models for 2003 in the UK press by now. This year is different. They're all waiting for the others to lose nerve and display new equipment. Is this a sign?
I really don't think anyone truly knows what KTM will actually produce. All I've seen is loads of speculation.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
KTM is supposed to be working on a new 250 SX, but I'm not sure if they're going with a new motor or a completely new bike all the way around. Anyone know if they're going for just a new motor or if the chassis, etc. are getting updated also? I can't wait to see what KTM has up its sleeve for next year.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
I just got a copy of the dealer blurb on the 2003s. I only got a chance to scan the doco quickly but from memory (it's sketchy - I'll correct any errors once I get home and check the document, I promise) these are the highlights.:

1) No mention at all of the 380 two-strokes - looks like they are history!
2) New model: 200SX, 200 motor is reworked for more power
3) New, lighter motor for 250SX with shorter cylinder assy and conrod, more upright engine and shorter chassis
4) New lighter crank for some 2-strokes including 250SX and 200 E/XC, SX - for "less vibration, better response"
5) General issue: WP 48mm forks, revalved shocks
6) 450SX "designed for same performance as 2002 520SX" according to KTM
7) 525SX with 41mm carb, larger ports
8) "Improved" 250 RFS (I haven't even seen the unimproved one yet).

Last edited:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
My dealer, who is No. 2 or 3 in the nation in KTM sales (Barry Higgins in Georgia is No. 1), says that there will be two 450s available--a short-stroke and a long-stroke. Presumably the short-stroke 450 will be for the SX model, the long-stroke for the enduro, but I'm not sure about that.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
I was at a CDN Natl HS today and was talking to one of the bigger KTM dealers in Ontario and all he said he knew for sure was the 250SX and EXC were brand new from the ground up. New motor and new chassis. The chassis is shortened to the equivalent of using 18mm offset clamps. He said the 250 was the only EXC getting the new chassis.

ktsteve

Apr 10, 2002
I have heard the same thing as Humai, from a dealer in new mexico. I just sold a 2002 520 exc and ordered the new 525 exc if that is what it will be. I am toying with the idea of buying the 2002 250 exc four stroke for tight nasty trail junk but am concerned about having a new model in three or for months. If anybody knows anything about that let me know.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by JMD
My dealer, who is No. 2 or 3 in the nation in KTM sales (Barry Higgins in Georgia is No. 1), says that there will be two 450s available--a short-stroke and a long-stroke. Presumably the short-stroke 450 will be for the SX model, the long-stroke for the enduro, but I'm not sure about that.

Yeah - that's what the KTM release says: 450 E/XC - 89mm bore with 72mm stroke and the 450 SX is 95mm bore and 63.4mm stroke.

Last edited:

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Gerald had some interesting things to say about the new 250. KTM hiring Ryan Hughes to help test the bike, cool. Based on what he had to say it sounds like the 250 will be a great new product and it looks like the entire KTM lineup may be really strong for next year(as if it already wasn't.) I can't wait to see the new 250 two stroke and maybe(hopefully) a "improved" 250 RFS.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
can someone cut and past the link to Geralds story? I looked all over that "mxlarge" site and can't find anything like what you guys are describing.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom