wildcard

Dec 1, 2002
I am a 175lb expert grade rider. Has anybody got real good suspension settings. Also suggestions on why with stock everything and a plug with good colour has this bike had a barrel and cylinder head replaced twice in two months under warranty and Kawasaki don't know or won't say what the fault is!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Wildcard, detonation is your problem and it can show up even though the plug looks good. Detonation not only can break the tip off the plug, it can also loosen a plug even though you know it's tight. Run race fuel and your problem will be solved. So who's fault is it? Yours from this point on if you keep on running a low grade of fuel.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
If it's as bad as he's got it, sure you'll hear it if you know what it sounds like. Sorta like someone's throwing small rocks at the pipe and engine a clicking and pinging sound. 

Eddy V

Jul 13, 2000
Steve,
Is it possible that the detonation problem(if there is a problem) is caused by a bad squish action instead of a compression problem?The compression on a kx is not so high as on a Ktm or a Suzuki.I have measured on my new kx a squish clearance of 1.4mm what can not give a good squish action and will possible cause detonation.Do you know the specifications of the VHM head that is used on the posted Dyno curves because I think the head must give us some power profit when properly adjusted.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Eddie V I think the stock head can be made to work fine with the proper machineing. Your right on the the stock KX's squish, it's too large and it should be around 1mm. But remember a 1mm squish while it will help, still won't allow for a low grade fuel! Race bikes should run race fuel! Especially from the mid level to pro rider. Marcus has the specs for the VHM head and i'm sure he'll see this and give you an answer.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Let me get the exact spec from dave as i dont want to give false info-one thing is though this head only matches the 02 KX125 piston that is less of a dome.So it wont help you unless you run a 02 KX125 piston.
In general i set up my heads with a squish gap of 1mm -a squish angle of between 1 and 2 degress more than the piston -a width of 6mm and a volume in the head similar to std.With this i can just about run pump fuel.(98 super unleaded)i tend to run 3% silkolene pro boost for safety.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Just to put my feelings on the VHM heads- a lovely looking thing but if eric can alter a std one to the same spec for $25 why pay $200??

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Heres the VHM head specs
squish gap 1mm
squish angle-parallel to the angle on the 02 KX125 piston. ie 0 degress compared to piston crown.
squish band width 6mm
volume of head 11.2cc.
this really is in the wrong forum.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Your right on the VHM head Marcus, as the stock head can be easily machined to those specs.

Top Bottom