2003 KX250 removing front sprocket?

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
Is there anything special involved in removing the front sprocket on a 2003 Kawasaki KX 250? I see a little 'c clip' on the splined shaft hoding the front sprocket on, do I need a special tool or technique to remove/replace this part? I think I can figure it out when I mess with it on Saturday, but I thought that I would ask first just to be sure. Thanks. -Todd

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I have not removed a sprocket from an 03, but it sounds like the same setup that was on my 93 KX250. The C-clip should have two little holes on the end, which allow you to use snap ring plires. Just be carefull not to bend or streach the clip too much, when you re-install it be sure to put it back so that the sharper edge of the clip is facing you, not toward the bike. This is good practice with any c-clip (positioning such that the sharp edge is also the load bearing edge).

good luck

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
Thanks Bikepilot, my buddy told me the same thing that you did, but I just looked at the bike again and it did not have a ring clip like you described (I think those are called hog rings). It has a c-clip that is open a smaller amount than a hog ring, it seems to be thicker metal, and it does not have the holes like a hog ring would (nowhere to put the special pliers). The clip also seems to have groves/teeth in it that fit tightly in the splines of the drive shaft. I am guessing that I can just carefully pry it off as you would if you were removing a hog ring without the special pliers. Anyone else know the correct or easy way to remove this clip and the front sprocket?

Will the sprocket simply pull off once this clip is gone, or do I need a 'pulley puller' tool?

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
svttodd said:
The clip also seems to have groves/teeth in it that fit tightly in the splines of the drive shaft.

It doesn't actually have teeth to it, just looks that way while it's on the shaft. Very easy to remove with snap ring pliers; very frustrating to remove with anything else.

IcePick

Nov 30, 2004
svttodd said:
Thanks Bikepilot, my buddy told me the same thing that you did, but I just looked at the bike again and it did not have a ring clip like you described (I think those are called hog rings). It has a c-clip that is open a smaller amount than a hog ring, it seems to be thicker metal, and it does not have the holes like a hog ring would (nowhere to put the special pliers). The clip also seems to have groves/teeth in it that fit tightly in the splines of the drive shaft. I am guessing that I can just carefully pry it off as you would if you were removing a hog ring without the special pliers. Anyone else know the correct or easy way to remove this clip and the front sprocket?

Will the sprocket simply pull off once this clip is gone, or do I need a 'pulley puller' tool?
Hog rings are what is used in the upholstery business. What you have, holding on your front sprocket is a "C-Clip" ;)

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
That's right, hog rings are those sharp little things that you have to mess with on uphosltry. I was mixed up. I think you guys are right about the clip not having groves either, the closer I look at it I noticed that it just looks like it has groves. I think I will be fine getting it off. Thanks.

Top Bottom