jayhoo

Mar 31, 2008
Hey, there is a 04 CRF250R for sale in my town and I had a few questions about this bike. Firstly, this specific bike is an 04 but he bought it new in 05. its new new valves and springs, a black excel rim, and respoked rims. He is asking $4500 CDN. Is that a good deal?
Now I had some general questions about this model, is it known to have any problems. How reliable is it, and should i expect to have to put money in it? how are these bikes as far as maintenance? and one final question is would this bike be OK to start on, for a beginner? i know it would be a bit fast but do u think it would be alright for some 6'0 and 150?
Thanks!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
For that kinda money you should save a bit more and buy new. Any used bike is a gamble. $4500 is alot of money for something that could be a time bomb. The new mx 4t's are VERY high maintenance. Reliability is dependent upon maintenance. They can be very expensive to repair. What do you plan on doin with it?

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
the 04 is a pretty good beginner bike. From what I've heard they're also decent in the reliability department. However, at our local dealer a 2006 kx250f went for $4300 and it had a new top end and plastics. $4500 isn't too far out but it is two years older and sold by the owner so if I were you I wouldn't pay more than 4000. I live on the Westcoast though so you might wanna check around for prices on other bikes and see what you find... I always thought bikes were cheaper in the east (more riders) but I could be wrong.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ditto, those bikes were usually run pretty hard.

jayhoo

Mar 31, 2008
k thnx. I dont plan on racing track on it. It will be for trail riding, with the occasional hillclimb and playing in pits a bit

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Understandable, but just keep in mind how it was run PRIOR to you owning it. It's worth a good once-over inside and out, good luck! ;)

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
^ My geuss is it wasn't run before he owned it if its new....

Dang, the American Dollar lost alot of value to the canadian dollar. $4500C = about $4400US.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Cabot said:
^ My geuss is it wasn't run before he owned it if its new....

If the valves and springs have been changed, it's not new.

I have to agree with elk. (Ewwww, did I really just say that? :whoa: ;) ) Many of those bikes were run very hard. Plus the price is pretty high for an '04. If you just have to have it, check the history on the bike. Did he race it? Did he maintain it or just wait til it broke and fixed it?

Like Joe said, you could buy new for just a little more.

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
And I unfortunately have to agree with the old guy ^^. Thanks for the clarification 9er, I thought I read it right.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No worries, 89er does it all the time and usually soils himself in the process! :)

Top Bottom