2004 KDX220R 7,000' elevation Jetting

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Hey yawl. I cut my teeth riding '85 and '86 old KDX200's back when I was a beginner/C rider.

Last summer, got spanked by that Fredette guy at the Idaho ISDE Qualifier, this summer, on my new yamadog yz250 I plan on giving Jeff a run, but ..... enough about me.

One of my buddies just bought a new KDX220. He's coming by tonight, as the shop that he bought it from leaned the main jets "some" but he says it still smokes a bunch and is too fat off the bottom.

My buddy John is coming off a ttr225 or something like that, and loves his new KDX's suspension, John is a 50 yr old ex-bicycle racer that came over to the "dark side" last summer.

So, I have tons of old jets, figure I'll start by dropping in maybe a 38 pilot/slow and dropping the needle all the way down, and maybe starting with a main of ~138. I'll huck the airbox lid, but other than that, John wants to keep the engine stock for now till he learns to deal with the "power"

Any idea what replacement needle he should order for our higher elevation - 7,000' as a starting point. I suspect I will not be able to get his 220 jetted right with the OEM needle.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Buck in Flagstaff, 40A enduro rider

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
I ran my 01 220 between 4000 and 10000 feet using a 135 main, 1172 needle clip 2nd from top, and a 42 pilot. This was with the air box lid on and the stock pipe. The mixture ring was a little thick but I don't care to fiddle too much. I run OPTI oil at 60:1. With this set up it started great hot or cold and had no bogs or misses. For your elevation and mods this might be a place to start. Good luck :thumb:

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
Hey Buckholz,

John--thegreydog?? Congrats on getting him converted to the 2smoke darkside.

I wish I could help but I'm in the same boat--so to speak. Those rides in the cool pines are looking good and will look even better when it's 115 degrees in Phoenix. I haven't made the trip up yet because I'm jetting challenged. When you guys get the jetting worked out, please post your findings and maybe a ride.

P.S. Just want to say Thanks--There are a lot of great posters in this forum with good tips and advice.

Robb

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Gents

I highly recommend spending a few bucks to purchase this Jetting Guide Devoloped by James Dean.
Check it out in the link above.
It has saved me a ton of time and money.
Also...have a close look at Canadian Dave's web page. Sneak a peak under the "KDX Tech Tips" link.

Cheers.

Buc

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Hey Buckholz and QuailChaser.

I am from Arizona also. I am planning on riding the enduro at the Cinders on June 12th. What is the terrain like at the cinders? Need to get up to Flag jet my bike, see what the ride will be like.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
enduro at Cinders June 12th????????????

Cinders is like riding 10' deep uncooked rice, with up to 5' whoops - better come practice at least once.

Maybe you are thinking Whiplash - not sure if they are running June 12th. They are not really an "enduro" group

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom