2005 CRF450 Valving question

DPR250R

Oct 25, 2004
I purchased a 2005 CRF450 used in the fall. The suspension (valving and springs) was set up for a 150 lb "B" rider by Facorty Connection.

I am a 200 lb "B" rider.

Can I get away with just changing the springs or would the valving need to be changed too?

I keep going back and forth between-

A. Sending it back to them and paying around $600 to have it set up for me

B. Putting the stock rear spring in and .49's in the front. (That is what I hear everyone is doing)

C. Putting the stock springs in and going from there.

Any opinions?

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
I'd give it a try with just putting the stiffer springs on it and then trying to dial it in with clicker settings. For the most part you won't see vast valving changes for a 50lb weight difference and the same level of rider from my testing so you may be able to catch it with the clickers. A large part of suspension setup is rider preference, I like my bikes on the stiff / springy side and my brother-in-law (about the same weight and speed) likes his softer and slower.

DPR250R

Oct 25, 2004
OK... you answered the EXACT question I had. Thank you... I really appreciate it!

I am not afraid to admit that I know nothing about valving.

Now my next question.....

If I go to Race Tech's site and enter my information about spring rates it says to use the stock springs basically.

I read in MXA that the hot setup is run .49's in the front and lower the oil volume.

What is your take?

I have the stock springs... but would not mind buying some new one if it is worth it....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…