AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
My 05 KX250 rips!!! I had an 03 and an 04, and this thig is awesome! Still less than 8 hrs on the bike, but I love it. That said, it is spewing oil all over the fender. And when I bring it in, there is a nice puddle of oil from the power valve overflow. What gives? How could it run so good and be way rich? I'm running 50/50 race gas and premium, 32:1. It was colder (mid 40's)
I've just never had a bike blow this much oil and still rip the nobs off..

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
the same on my 05 KX250. maybe it's the powerjet, which produces rich mixture during acceleration. you could test it without the powerjet, for that you have to close the bore in the jet inside the carb. i will do it some time to see if there is much difference in acceleration and oil spit

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
other than having excess build-up on the power valve assembly, there isn't a down side for me then. Power is not a problem for sure. This thing may be getting a flywheel soon.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
AARONA said:
My 05 KX250 rips!!! I had an 03 and an 04, and this thig is awesome!

You're killing me! :( Is it really 'all that' much better then the 04? I was gonna get the 05 but got a brand new 04 for $4800 out the door....kinda hard to turn down if you know what I mean, lol, but all you guys raving on the 05 is wanting me to go trade back in the 04 on a 05. But seriously, is the 05 really all that much better?

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
the motor has more power, and the front fork feels better. So no, its not "all that", but it does have a better starting point than the 03 or 04. It feels like it might have less flywheel weight, which is great for me riding sandy tracks against 450's...the one tight and hard pack track we have might show the weakness, can't ride there till the snow is gone though. for 4800 your looking good. you can spend 1g and be better than a stock 05 easy. send the cly to Eric Gorr, and the susp to whoever you like, and you'll be there. I did get a SDG tall seat, and that was well worth it (I'm 190 and 6'-0") What else? I tried a Pro Circuit pipe and a FMF (not the fatty, a new kind for moto) and I liked the stock pipe best. It just made more power I could use. I ride Vet Expert. A real pro probably would like the PC. No mechanical probelems, grease the links, change the oil and filters regularly, and pin it. Also, I left the jetting stock on the 04. I think I'm going to have to mess around with the 05 jetting. It's spooging all over. The 05 is a great bike, but the 04 was very underrated.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
AARONA said:
I tried a Pro Circuit pipe and a FMF (not the fatty, a new kind for moto) and I liked the stock pipe best. It just made more power I could use. I ride Vet Expert. A real pro probably would like the PC.

I was thinking about getting a pipe for my 04, but mainly for cosmetic reasons since I have a couple little dingers in it from rocks. Nothing major, but even the smallest dings in a pipe annoy the hell out of me, lol. I should get a pipe guard asap if I'm gonna keep the stocker. Does what you say about pipes also apply to the 04? I do a little of everything, trail ride and ride on MX style tracks but don't plan on doing much racing anymore if any at all. I don't wanna move power around (i.e. lose bottom to gain top) just add a little everywhere instead of lose alot here, gain alot there. What kinda pipe is the Fatty? Is it like the original Fatboy? Because I had a Fatboy (before they had to change thier name) on my 93 KX and it had insane amounts of smooth bottom end and sounded great, but felt an entire gear slower over the regular FMF pipe which was way too soft on bottom for my liking (I havn't owned a MX bike in 4 years and havn't bought a pipe in 8 years so I'm a little behind on what's what right now). Pro Circuit always seemed to give you the best all-around performance (not changing the stock powerband to drastically). But like I said, last pipe I bought was 8 years ago (Pro Circuit on a 97 KX250).

AARONA said:
Also, I left the jetting stock on the 04. I think I'm going to have to mess around with the 05 jetting. It's spooging all over.

I had to drop the pilot jet down to a 45 from the stock 52 to clear up the excessive smoking problem I was having on the bottom end. It wasn't spooging all that bad (little drool trail coming out of the silencer) but now it's 100% completely dry.

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
I was talking about the 04 for the pipes. I havent tried anything but stock for the 05 yet. I had a FMF SST for the 04, and a PC pipe that was actually from the 2003 kx (had to mess with the mounts a little, nothing big though.)
I liked the SST better than the PC because the power was fatter. The PC made more power, but most of it was on top, so I had to murder the clutch on exits. I like to just hit the clutch a little and then have the bike begin to pull, which is how the FMF and stock pipe felt to me. I did get my susp redone. Stock springs worked for my weight, but I really liked the fork after it was revalved. Shock was better too, but breaking bumps were killing me with stock valving. Plus I was more out of shape in the beginning of the season I think.
I'm going to drop the pilot on the 05 and see how it does. Just sent the 05 susp out today, so no riding for a week or so. Probably better, cause every time I try to ride too early I end up finding some ice under the dirt and bending something (like me)

meangreen 67

Apr 16, 2003
I've been getting a little spooge out of my 05' KX250 also. Plus the bike feels a little rich off the bottom. Definitely not as crisp as my '03 KX250 with a PC pipe, stock silencer, and PC jetting specs.

I leaned the needle by 1 clip and the bike was very crisp but I was getting some detonation so I went back to stock. I called Pro Circuit yesterday and they said to lean the pilot to a 48, put the clip 4th from the top, airscrew at 1.5 turns out and leave the rest stock.

Gonna change the jetting today and go riding tomorrow. I hope it runs as crisp and spooge free as my '03 did.

AST

May 5, 2003
meangreen 67 said:
I've been getting a little spooge out of my 05' KX250 also. Plus the bike feels a little rich off the bottom. Definitely not as crisp as my '03 KX250 with a PC pipe, stock silencer, and PC jetting specs.

I leaned the needle by 1 clip and the bike was very crisp but I was getting some detonation so I went back to stock. I called Pro Circuit yesterday and they said to lean the pilot to a 48, put the clip 4th from the top, airscrew at 1.5 turns out and leave the rest stock.

Gonna change the jetting today and go riding tomorrow. I hope it runs as crisp and spooge free as my '03 did.
I also have the 05 with the pc pipe and silencer. They told me air screw 1.5, pilot#48, needle position 4th, and 162 main(1 step richer). I tried this jetting and it was way too rich on the bottom! I moved the clip to # 3 and it was much better. I moved the clip to #2 and now it is real close. I had to back my air screw out 2.5 turns to get the highest rpms so I think I will change the pilot to a #45 and try that.It still has a slight sputter at 1/8 throttle.Still getting some spooge from the hose :bang: Temp here is 65.Im at 600 feet above sea level running 110 octane gas mixed at 32:1 with maxima super m.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I'm getting a lot of oil dripping out of the vent tube on my shop floor but not much at the exhaust, just a ring of carbon around the end of the silencer. This is with stock jetting (clip came on 2nd position stock on mine, do they all?), VP C-12 and Maxima 927 @ 32:1. Sea level riding and 40s to mid 50s temps. I raised the clip to the top of the needle but haven't had a chance to test it yet, just looking to keep the powervalve a bit cleaner. Check the other thread for some pipe info and general thoughts.

scottbob99

Feb 10, 2003
04 Jetting

I just picked up an '04 with a ported motor, V Force reeds, ProCircuit pipe and shorty silencer. Jetting was stock when I got it, it was bogging down low, a little lean on top and smoking a little too much, I changed pilot from 52 to 48, changed main from 165 to 168, turned air screw 2 turns out and clip is still in #2 from top. So far run very smooth everywhere, plug looks good so far, I'm not going to mess with it anymore until it warms up, just my $.02. :cool:

AARONA

Apr 11, 2003
was able to ride the 05kx250 last night.
It has been mid40's low 50's here.
Sea level. Switched to a 162 main jet.
All other jetting stock. running Avgas with Maxima Super-m, 32:1
I am a bit out of shape from a good winter with much beer by the fire, but have managed to hit the gym 2-3 days/week. The thing pumped my arms in 2 seconds. Power. Lots of it, everywhere.
Riding back to back with a KX250F (05), the 250F seems slow. but it was so much easier to ride. A fast local guy was out on a 250Z showing me the four stroke 250 was indeed not slow.
Just got my susp back from Factory Connection. What a great job they did. I feel spoiled. It works so good. Breaking bumps, jumps, turning, everything is good. Happy.
I don't see why anyone (except a true pro) would need to mod this motor. This is one of the widest and most useable powerbands I have been able to ride. Reminds me a lot of a newer YZ250, but with maybe a little bit more down low. They always feel like they have a ton of low end when they are new though..
Cant wait for the rest of the snow to melt so I can go rip on my favorite tracks.

Top Bottom