2005 YZ250 is firing on 5th gear decel

Chris Long

Jan 17, 2005
Was to Glamis last weekend. First time to the sand ever. Bike ran awesome and this bike flys in the dunes. Noticed something weird though. Coming back on the sand highway through the woops I was at the top of 5th flying through the woops and whenever I would let of the gas and slow to look back for my buddy on his quad, the bike would rev a little and fire 2 to 4 more times....zang....zang...zang. Very strange. Otherwise the bike had more power than I needed and had no other issues. Bike is stock, jetting is stock and I was running 36:1 Yamalube with premium gas. I did however put in some Hi Test Maxima Octane (2 oz per gallon). Thats it. Any ideas. Thanks guys

Chris Long

Jan 17, 2005
Does anyone have any ideas???

I've been reading the forums. Is this detonation?....pinging?...run on?

Is this caused by a lean or rich situation? Maybe unburned fuel?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
i ride at the dunes all the time and it puts a lot of extra load on the engine even when you think it's not that much it is. my bike did this the first time i went to the sand dunes my bike was a 95 yz250 and it did what your are talking about just kinda wanted to keep going for a while and when i would go o use the kill switch it would kinda diesel for a couple seconds then die. this is because it is really hot and you need to go up a size or two maybe three on your main jet to richen the mixture then your bike will run even better and scream up the hills. worked for me if you have a kehin pwk carb you can just loosen the boot screws securing it and without even having to take it out flip it on it's side so you can see the bottom and there will be a plug just undo it and there is your main jet i change mine back and forth depending on what kinda ridding im doing. but i would for sure go richer so you don't have to worry about the bike burning up on you. also what mix were you running i would say 32:1 is a good one to use at the dunes also check your radiator to make sure it's full mine boiled over one time and my bike ran like crap then i refilled it and it ran awesome. hope this helps.

teamgreendad

Oct 29, 2007
did you ever see that carb vent kit sold in dennis kirk its almost air tight in your float boal and when you go over big jumps and whoops at fast speeds sometimes the fuel gets pushed to the top of the floatbowl and you spray way more fuel in your reeds.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007

is that the one made by PC racing?

Chris Long

Jan 17, 2005
I think your on to something with the float bowl . It only did this when going through the woops super fast. I could be getting a splash of fuel or something. I had a blazer in high school that would almost die going through woops too fast.

I also think I could use a bigger main in the dunes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…