ktgraf

Jan 6, 2006
south Texas, sea level, 410 main, clip at 2nd posit fm top, 40:1 Repsol, airscrew 3 turns out, BR8ES.

I came to this site looking for some information on tuning/modifying my CR and I found a lot of useful stuff... just gonna pay it forward.

Bought a new 2005 CR250R the spring of '06 and rode it all summer (first 2-stroke, first MX bike). Fouled a lot of plugs and silencer was dripping "black stuff" (I assume that's oil) from both ends. Stock plug was an NGK BR9EG-8-N but I ended up running BR8ES plugs on 93 octane at 36:1 with Yamalube 2-R. I live in south Texas (sea level) and I think 90 degrees F is a good guess at the average summer temperature here. The bike's chararcterists were as follows: easy to start but always took about 15-30 seconds of initial riding to get the throttle response crisp. Good power but overrev died quickly.

I recently bought Moose repacking for my silencer, a 410 main jet, a buttload of NGK 8 and 9 plugs, and Repsol synthetic (40:1) to get ready for this next summer.

Silencer - the repack was simple, just remove two bolts from the silencer and the endplate/tube pulls out, took a lot off force though. The stock packing was saturated and it completely/tightly filled the space between the tube and silencer housing. I cleaned off the tube (it was just wet with dirty oil), wrapped the sheet of packing around the tube and shoved it back in. Didn't need to use masking tape or anything like that as the fit was like a bad third date... not as tight as I was expecting.

Carb - pulled the carb and verified the stock settings (which I hadn't touched til this point): #420 main, 40 pilot, clip in 3rd position. Airscrew was out 1 3/4 turns. I was surprised that the floats were not even... one float was at .3 inches and the other was a little less. (The metal bracket that holds the floats was bent on one side.) I adjusted the float level, installed the 410 and raised the clip to the 2nd position from the top of the needle. The TPS was turned almost fully clockwise in its adjustment and I returned it to its previous position but noticed that it didn't like to seat in there smoothly even with everything lined up properly. You do have to make sure you set the rheostat into the proper groove when reinstalling. No need to mark anything as there's only one way to put it back on.

RC valve - popped the cover and disconnected the cables from the valve to make sure it was moving freely. I had previously made the "12 mm adjustment" so didn't mess with that. Also verified movement of the valve when brapping the throttle.

Tuning - funny how neighbors are... Up to now I hadn't done anything to the bike except 1) use a hotter plug, 2) change the ratio of my mixture from stock recommendation (32:1) to 36:1, and 3) adjust the RC valve to 12mm (which it was nearly already set to). I had now changed my premix oil and ratio, main jet, clip position, and went back to the recommended stock plug. Airscrew still at 1 3/4 turns out.

-started bike. I was happy to see it start, but noticed that keeping it running near idle with the throtle caused it to load up very fast. A few long braps on the throttle would clear it, but it again would load up very quickly.

- adjusted the idle - had to turn the screw almost all the way in (flush with the locknut) to get the rpm to come up a little.

- adjusted airscrew - in this process I ended up fouling the 9 plug during one of the acceleration runs. I believe it was because I had been dicking around with it for so long just adjusting the idle/airscrew. I fouled another 9 almost immediately after installing and decided to go with an 8. With the stock pilot (which I believe is rich), found the best idle at 3 - 4 turns out. Ended up leaving it at 3. Doesn't load up. Made some runs in 2nd gear from idle then cracking it wide open. It had good accel and no hesitation.

- main jet - i rode the bike to an area with a long straightaway with a new plug and wrench in pocket, installed new plug, started bike and did a wide open run thru all the gears, chopped motor (clutch, kill, throttle) turned bike around and ran it back same way (might wanna wear some glasses at a minimum, I didn't). Pulled the plug. After comparing it to a new one, I noticed that the top half of the insulator was only slightly discolored (light light tan). I initially thought it was way too lean. But from what I've gathered here on this site, the place to look is deep inside the plug near the base. It had a nice brownish ring from the base to about half way up the insulator which was something I was glad to see. The bike ran very fast and I now had considerably more power in the overrev.

- needle - did the same test as above but this time used 1/4 to 3/4 throttle (mostly at 1/2). That plug had same color to it, but the ring was more pronouced and defined and it only came up about 1/3 of the insulator. Again I was happy.

I threw the sidecovers on and ended up riding for about 2 hours straight as I was having an absolute blast with the new setup. What an improvement.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
it's nice when you get them running right. it took me about year of experimenting and chasing bugs but i have finally got it. it's a different bike now then when i first got it.

ktgraf

Jan 6, 2006
nope, owner's manual calls for that plug and I believe that was the plug in the bike when I bought it new... only thing I'm wondering now is how much better it would be to further modify it - such as pipe, reeds, etc. I'll probably be content with my current setup for the entire summer...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Might I suggest dropping the pilot jet one size,put the air screw back and where does it say that bike is supposed to idle? If you want idle,bye bye throttle response off bottom. And congratulations on going with the stock plug!

ktgraf

Jan 6, 2006
will putting a leaner pilot jet in there make it any better running than it is now, or will I just be able to tune/adjust the carb better for different weather? I understand that at 3 turns out that circuit is probably as lean as it can be.

I figured the idle adjustment screw was there for a reason. I don't understand how the bike being able to idle effects response.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The carb responds better from closed position. Your air screw is supposed to be like 1 1/2 to 2,you are fishing at three,you need a smaller jet,it will run lots better!

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
mojonito, ktgraf, and Dieselhed - since you all have CR's like mine (mine is an '04), could you tell me if fuel leaks from your carb overflow hose when you lean the bike to the left (petcock on, engine off)? If I lean mine about 20 degrees to the left (from straight up), fuel will start to leak from the overflow hose after a few seconds. I can lean the bike much further to the right and it doesn't leak. I noticed this after turning the bike around on a trail (I was on the left side of the bike and had to lean it over to turn it due to space). A buddy pointed it out. I then did some experimentation on lean angles to see when it would occur - about 20 degrees it seems. I can go 45 to the right with no leak (that's as far as I went). Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited:

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
mine does leak but it has to be more than 20 degrees to the left. i only notice it leaking in crashes or when i really lean the bike to the left (probably 35 degrees or so). mine would started to leak all the time so i cleaned up the float and float pin and it was fine. will it leak when you have it leaned over when it's running or just when it's off?

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
mojonito - I decided to measure the lean angle today - it's actually just around 30 degrees when it begins to leak - running or not, makes no difference. At that angle it will leak a small amount, 5-6 drops, then stop, then leak again after a few seconds, etc., etc. It seems to me that it must be filling the bowl up past the vent, then it leaks out, then it fills up again, etc. I think most likely a leaking needle/seat, so I guess I should pull the bowl and take a look at it, maybe check the floats & adjustment while I'm in there.

If I lean it over more, it will leak continuously. Am I on the right track here? I wish I had this carb apart before, so I knew where the overflow tube was inside the carb (which side - I suspect left side) and how the float arrangement was........

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
what your describing seems pretty normal. take the float bowl off and clean up the floats (you can measure and make sure the float level is set right), needle, etc... but i would not worry about it too much.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
ktgraf said:
I figured the idle adjustment screw was there for a reason. I don't understand how the bike being able to idle effects response.
Same here. Most of the time, the throttle will be at points other than fully closed anyway. Either it responds to more throttle or not...regardless of the position.

I like for mine to idle simply because if I make a mistake and come to a stop, I don't want to have to worry about it stalling out.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
i have a shop manual at home. if you are still having problems or questions pm me and i will check it and get back to you. fyi- if i lay my bike down it will leak continuously. if i lean it over a few drops may come out. it has always done that. i would only worry if it leaked when straight up.

mbaird

May 25, 2006
I just got a JD jetting kit for my '03 cr250. I installed as per
the instructions sat nite and rode sunday. The first 3/4 of
throttle was off. monday I changed to the 2nd step
(red needle 3rd clip position) WOW!!! I am a believer
in JD now. I have to take it out for a longer ride Thurs,
but it seemed to clean up the entire range.

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
mojonito - thanks for the help. Sounds like this is normal for this bike then, I was just concerned that something may be wrong. Is the manual you have the Owner's Manual/Competition Handbook (which I have), or a full-on Service Manual?

Also, I noticed that you have a Katana 600 - what year/color is it? I also have a Katana (750), of the 1996 vintage. Mine is Dark Green with the yellow graphics. I know alot of people think the older bikes are not as cool looking as the new stuff, but I personally like the look of these bikes - they remind me of a shark. Plus, they're pretty much bulletproof.......and easy to maintain.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
mbaird said:
I just got a JD jetting kit for my '03 cr250. I installed as per
the instructions sat nite and rode sunday. The first 3/4 of
throttle was off. monday I changed to the 2nd step
(red needle 3rd clip position) WOW!!! I am a believer
in JD now. I have to take it out for a longer ride Thurs,
but it seemed to clean up the entire range.
Exactly what needle did he give you,was it a multi taper? The needle affects the major portion of the throttle,and I am pretty sure I have not seen these offered before.

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
the zuke is blue green of the 1997 vintage (and they are bullet proof). i have the honda service manual. its an investment you should definitely make.

mbaird

May 25, 2006
I recieved 2 needles, one with a blue end and one with a red end, beyond that I didnt inspect the taper at length. tomorrow I am going riding again and i will let you know
how it works on a longer ride with elevation change (2700-6000 ft). I will also inspect the needle more closely to see if it is a multi taper.

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
mojonito - can you tell me the correct float setting - is it 7.5mm or 15mm, as I have conflicting info in my owner's manual!!! Thanks!

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
If you want idle,bye bye throttle response off bottom.

:coocoo: ........so lets say you hit a big jump and the front end is high so what do you do? pull the clutch in and tap the rear brake but if your bike will not idle it will stall as soon as you pull in the clutch and thats not what you want to do when your high up in the air is have a stalled bike .........every bike i have owned idles if you cant get it to idle and have good throttle responce you must suck at jetting

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
john stu said:
:every bike i have owned idles if you cant get it to idle and have good throttle responce you must suck at jetting

Well, you apparently haven't owned every type of MX bike ever made, then. There have been many over the years that were simply not designed to idle.

And you keep your throttle on when you pull in your clutch.

mbaird

May 25, 2006
2strokerfun, your 76 elsinore may not idle but his 04 cr250 should. my 03 will idle all day long. I'll bet if his bike doesn't idle it is also missing out on some low end power and snap as well.
He just doesn't notice it because he has nothing to compare it to.

spend 70 bucks on the jd jetting kit. you will not regret it !!!
I think it did more for my bike than the fatty pipe and v-force reeds combined.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I didn't say mine won't idle. It idles fine. But there have been several MX bikes that absolutely weren't designed to idle--and, yes you can even get those to idle by shortening the cable enough, I know. His telling someone they suck at something is just rude, so I figure he can take a shot.

Top Bottom