2005 YZ250F High compression piston

ace402

Mar 13, 2007
I'm looking at buying a used 2005 YZ250F. It had a new top end with a JE high compression piston put in last fall. The guy bought his son a 450 so it wasn't ridden much after the rebuild. His son got hurt this spring so now he's selling both bikes.

It has new plastics (no graphics), chain and sprockets, brakes, and fork oil ( because a seal was leaking) also at the time of the rebuild. He also said he changed the oil every few rides.

Now for my questions.

Don't you have to run race gas when you put in a HC piston? He says that he's only run pump gas and that it runs fine with it.

Also, he only adjusted the valves on the bike, he didn't replace any of the valves, valve springs, or re-cut the valve seats. Is that ok for a 2005?

What are your opinions on this? The last thing I want to do is buy a roach with new plastic. I've never bought a four stroke before so I don't really know what to look for.

Is there any way to judge the bike other than what the owner has supposedly done?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

PS He said he would take $2000 just to get it gone.

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
Maybe if he has receipts?
You can visually check the brakes (look at pads) chain and sprockets, and see how they look.

I would think if he was lying about the engine work he would also say he replaced the valves too...

Alot of people run the 13.5:1 JE piston on 91 pump gas with no problems..

Also, $2000 is pretty good for this bike (based on what you explained), even if you do have to do the valves.
Ask him how the crank looked also.

Top Bottom