hoov165x

May 31, 2002
My last RM 250 was a '97 which I converted for offroad use. It was unstable and didn't track worth a darn. I am interested to hear from guys with '06 RM250's that are converted for offroad use as to the viability of this machine for offroad use. I have multiple bikes already and am not interested in the CR,YZ,KX,KTM as they either currently occupy my garage or have in the past.
Thanks!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the engine has plenty of bottom, its got nice showa suspension and it will out turn any 250 out there.

yep, the RM250 should make a great bike IMO.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Vote number 3.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
hoov165x said:
My last RM 250 was a '97 which I converted for offroad use. It was unstable and didn't track worth a darn. I am interested to hear from guys with '06 RM250's that are converted for offroad use as to the viability of this machine for offroad use. I have multiple bikes already and am not interested in the CR,YZ,KX,KTM as they either currently occupy my garage or have in the past.
Thanks!

when you have some time, what did you find and do to your 97 to make it ride better???

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
Dirt Rider Magazine just did such a test where they compared all the 06 250 2 strokes. Part of the test was on the track and for the other part, they hit the woods. Suzuki faired very well on the trails as I recall. The YZ and KX where very close on the track and the YZ was King on the trails followed, I believe, by the RM.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
A steering stabilizer might make you feel a bit more comfortable on the RM. They do turn well, however that comes at a cost which is sacrificed in high speed stability (which is a concern for off-roaders that ride/race in hare scramble etc.)

Spend money on the suspension (springs and valving), get some hand guards and a skid plate along with the steering stabilizer and you will be off to the races...

Of course, YMMV :)
-=jeffd

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
From what I've heard, (and maybe someone will verify this) starting in '05, Suzy changed the fork off-set a little to aid in stability....although it's still a great turner. Starting in '03, they made the 250 cylinder a YZ clone, and found real big power. The '03 had a violent hit for the woods, but Suzy's been improving the motor every year. I hear the '06 is a strong, torquey, more friendly motor........sounds good for woods to me. Wish I could swing an '06, but "she" won't buy me one. :laugh: :bang:

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
I bought a new '06 RM250 in the fall and I ride mostly woods. It's a great woods bike. I'm currently running my bike completely stock, except for guards, and I don't see any reason to do anything to it(not even a flywheel weight) except for possibly revalving the suspension. Actually the stock suspension works pretty well on the trails for me(6'0", 190lbs.). And since I'm currently using this bike for motocross too(I suck at MX, but I'll get out on the track when nobody's watching), the stock suspension is a good compromise for all-around riding.

This is the first RM I've owned, so I can't compare it to any other RM's. But the bike is pretty stable, though it can get a little nervous at top speed over rough ground(I'm nitpicking here). No tank slappers though. It's worth it for turning that's second to none in the class. Tracks great too. In fact, I'd say it's got the best overall handling package of any bike I've ever ridden.

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
CJG said:
I bought a new '06 RM250 in the fall and I ride mostly woods. It's a great woods bike. I'm currently running my bike completely stock, except for guards, and I don't see any reason to do anything to it(not even a flywheel weight) except for possibly revalving the suspension. Actually the stock suspension works pretty well on the trails for me(6'0", 190lbs.). And since I'm currently using this bike for motocross too(I suck at MX, but I'll get out on the track when nobody's watching), the stock suspension is a good compromise for all-around riding.

This is the first RM I've owned, so I can't compare it to any other RM's. But the bike is pretty stable, though it can get a little nervous at top speed over rough ground(I'm nitpicking here). No tank slappers though. It's worth it for turning that's second to none in the class. Tracks great too. In fact, I'd say it's got the best overall handling package of any bike I've ever ridden.

I see from your sig that you had an '03 KX 250. I had one as well. How is the tracking and stability compared to the '03 KX? Thanks!

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
rodH said:
when you have some time, what did you find and do to your 97 to make it ride better???

I had the suspension revalved for woods. Honestly, it was a terrible bike for offroad and that was made apparent by my subsequent bike- a '98 KX 250. The tracking and stability was FAR better on the KX.

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
hoov165x said:
I see from your sig that you had an '03 KX 250. I had one as well. How is the tracking and stability compared to the '03 KX? Thanks!
The RM isn't as stable as the '03 KX. But the KX is super stable. I think the RM tracks better though. Not sure why. It just seems like the rear goes exactly where the front went. It could just be comfort level. I've never been more at home on a bike than I am on the '06 RM. I had to make a lot of adjustments to the KX to make it fit right(low pegs, tall seat, taller bar, bar mounts to move bars forward more). The RM just fits me.

The great thing about the RM is that now I can steer with the front wheel. I found myself riding the KX like an older Husky, steering with the rear. Don't get me wrong though. I loved the KX. That is, until I rode the RM. It's on a different level. The power is smoother off the bottom, not weak, just smooth. And it revs significantly farther on top. The suspension is light years ahead(stock) as well. I can honestly say I've never enjoyed riding any bike as much as I enjoy the '06 RM. I know this kinda sounds like a Suzuki ad. But I really love this bike. Now if it holds up as well as my KX has, it'll be a real winner. :cool:

Top Bottom