jmvar

Mar 15, 2004
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

male, 170 lbs, 5'7"

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

7/10, ride downhill mountain bikes, lift weights, do lots of sports

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

mostly woods, eventually a track

4) Do you have any riding experience?

very little, I have ridden an old KX 250 (1989), currently in my possession as a loaner but needs too much work, ridden that 2-3 times

5) Do you think you will race ?

probably not

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

will do my own work, have worked some on the KX 250, do a lot of work on cars and have lots of tools, mechanical engineer

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

no preference, looking for input

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

have several good dealers close that carry the big 3, would rather buy used

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

I have all my gear already so I would spend $1000-2000 on a bike

10) Do you live in California?

no

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I currently have this 1989 KX 250 but it is in a pretty sad state and I don't know if it is worth fixing it up, once I get the kick start mechanism fixed I will be able to do a compression test, but I think I know the out come....

An acquaintance has a 1989 YZ 250 that supposedly has been completely rebuilt and needs nothing for $800. I have not seen it and will probably take a look in the up coming weeks.

Another acquaintance has a 2001 RM 250 that is in great shape with lots of good upgrades to make it a good woods bike. He is selling because it is too fast for him. If he is scared of it, I am thinking it will be too much for me too.

I am pretty good mechanically but would rather spend time riding and money on gas than fixing things on a 19 year old bike so I am thinking of looking elsewhere.

I have only ridden the old ragged out 1989 KX 250 so I have nothing to compare it to.

Your input is appreciated, open to all suggestions.

Top Bottom