PRICE302

Jul 18, 2010
Last summer i bought a 2006 RMZ 250 that only had about 12 hours on it. The guy that had it before me didn't say anything about performance mods that it may have, so i figured it was stock. My buddy has a CRF250R that has a full exhaust and a air filter and i absolutely smoke him when we race. So one question i have is: Is there any way of being able to have an idea of what's done to the bike without opening it up? The bike likes to overheat if i'm just ideling around the woods, so i think it may be bored out a bit? It wiseco piston stickers on it, and after looking i noticed it had a edelbrock carb, it also has a twin air air filter. Near the end of last summer i was casually riding it when i shifted into second gear and the back tire locked up. I no longer have second gear, it just grinds and sometimes locks up. Does anyone know what could have went wrong?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
PRICE302 said:
So one question i have is: Is there any way of being able to have an idea of what's done to the bike without opening it up?
i was casually riding it when i shifted into second gear and the back tire locked up. I no longer have second gear, it just grinds and sometimes locks up. Does anyone know what could have went wrong?

Looks like you are going to have to open it up anyway. If you continue to ride it with broken gears, you will destroy your engine. That is, if you haven't already done it. :coocoo:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
PRICE302 said:
I don't really ride it, just maybe once a week i will take it out to keep the carb from gunking up on me..

... ohh, well you didn't say that before. Then it will be fine. :rotfl:

PRICE302

Jul 18, 2010
I just drained my oil to check for metal shavings, but all seemed good. I was fortunate enough to find a used tranmission for sale that i am going to order tomorrow along with a gasket kit. i hope this solves it!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
PRICE302 said:
I don't really ride it, just maybe once a week ..

Kinda like the kid that got caught in his bedroom by his mother while pleasuring himself. Mother says, if you keep doing that you will go blind. Kid says, can I just do it until I need glasses? :whoa: ;)

Lemme esplain this again. :coocoo: If you have broken gears in your gearbox and continue to ride the bike, you will cause damage to other parts of your engine. Stop riding it and take it apart. There is no sense in buying a used gearbox until you find out what is wrong with your gearbox. It could be something as simple as a bent shift fork.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If it is something simple like a bent shift fork, it won't take long to fix.

Nobody likes to have their bike disassembled, but it's better than the alternative of abusing it until it stops for good.

I don't understand why you are taking the risk. If you do serious damage by failing to fix it, you could have much more down time and much higher costs to repair.

Also, if it locks up solid when you are riding, you could be seriously injured.

PRICE302

Jul 18, 2010
I'm pretty sure the tranny is just messed up. like i said,i can skip to third (i never do). I just tried it once to see what all was wrong.. I have the motor out right now. I plan on ordering the parts tonight.. As far as a gasket kit.. Is it necessary to replace the oil seals?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
How do you know what parts to order?

The first thing you should order is a factory service manual.

PRICE302

Jul 18, 2010
I'm just going to buy a complete transmission.Even if it's not what i need i can sell the rest for what i purchase it for.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
PRICE302 said:
I'm just going to buy a complete transmission.Even if it's not what i need i can sell the rest for what i purchase it for.

I wish I had that kind of money..

Then, rather than tear down the engine when it needs service, I'd just buy a new one..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom