2006 YZ 125 & 250 ride impression

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Well I did some changes to the bikes between this an last week just minor stuff. Put on my fav grips and bars (125 bars only) and msr levers and D756's up front to match the 756 rears. I thought it was really dumb they'd spec's 756's on the front but they still came with those crappy 739's on the front.

I have to say i'm impressed with yammie quality and attention to detail this year they really stepped it up I'd have to say it totally/directly compares to honda easy! I really like how the swingarm linkage bolts all have the locking head on one side and only one nut to remove should make maintence much easier! All in all I can't seem to really find a detail flaw with these two bikes.

Performance wise I'm still scratching my head on the 125 cause I rode the '05 and wasn't really that impressed when compared to my '04 KX 125. I felt the '05 was lacking off the bottom compared to it. I won't say that about my '06 yz 125 upped the compression ratio slightly for more bottom/mid range pull. Damn this is a sweet motor it even came jetted damn close stock. I have no complaints with this motor for '06 it made my '04 KX 125 feel slightly under powered every where and I like how this YZ is smooth and really hooks up. The KX was a damn good motor hard to believe this YZ is so much better but the KX had that rough feeling style of power band (if that makes any sense).

This one jump that I know it's very tough but getting setup for it little tricky. You come right out of a corner up over a small mound then slightly g out and you clear a gap and you can land on the flat/pleatu after the gap or of course clear it. On the kx 125 in 3rd wide open bike totally screaming on the pipe making max power I could never seem to clear it! I'd always came up a few feet short. The same jump on the YZ took like half the rpm's and it way easier to get the front tire down on the landing ramp (I forgot to mention this jump is slightly going up hill) I imediately was like damn! I made sure I didn't take out the 250 by accident it was just so much easier on the YZ over my KX.

I had no problems keeping up with my friend who has an '05 SX 125 that's been ported by varner in fact I rode it back to back and my stock YZ felt like it was throwing down the same amounts of power this is a sweet 125 motor.

I have no issues with the handling after I got the 756's on there I wasn't even thinking about the handling just rode the bike and put it where ever I wanted inside/outside. It jumps and flys threw the air new in straight on take off's. I really like how light it feels and really is.

The 250 well this is my first YZ 250 but damn! compared to what I've read and heard this is the great awesome YZ 250 motor it has always been jetting is pretty crisp stock no complaints from me pulls good from bottom to top and doesn't just fall flat up top. Handling is sweet just like the 125 is no issue's with the bike I just can't ride it fast enough to make it look good :)

The suspenion was alittle stiff at first but as it breaks in it's been getting whole lot better. It soaks up the stutters/braking/acceleration bumps bit hits small hits just fine! Both ends feel really good nice an plush balanced feeling in fact I ride both bikes without thinking about that the suspenion is really doing thats a huge plus cause if something was off I'd think i would really notice with how wierd of a setup my '04 KX had.

So what i'm saying is the bikes are ready to rock n roll right off the showroom floor. The only issue I'm having and it's a personal thing is having to get use to the tall feeling bike cause my '04 KX was really low slung I know if I can't win on these YZ's it's not the bike it's totally all me. Yamaha definetly did thier homework for '06 and it's really showing the more I ride these bikes. Next week I get to test them out at washougal! oh yay! :)

PAULRY

Mar 17, 2004
05 has been my first year riding YZ250 Yamaha's, I always had the impression they were soft bikes, ie break easily, but this has not being my experience. The bike has been rock solid all season.

Performance next to none and handles superbly. I would definitely buy another. You won't regret your decision.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Wow, thanks.

I'm saving but then the car breaks, then the dishwasher, then the roof needs shingles.

I'm destin'd to ride used.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
I've got about 4-5 hours on my '06 YZ250 now and I am very happy. I had been out of off-road for about 14 years until I got a TT-R250 last year to ride with my son while he learned to ride. The TT-R was fine for that but it was heavy and lacked the thrill factor (plus while great for trails the suspension quickly gave up when we went to the track to ride).

So I traded it in on the YZ and couldn't be happier. Definitely more oomph than my last one ('89) and a lot lighter and better handling/suspension. So far for me the jetting is spot on for my type of riding (some track, some trails etc).

Definitely trails better than the TT-R could track :cool: Will be picking up my son's new YZ-85 in a week or two (he started with a TT-R125).

Satch0922

Aug 30, 2003
The 06 can't help but be a great bike. My 05 has 40 hrs on it and has been flawless. I race and practice at least 2-3 times per month and still have not done the top end. The new forks on the 06 should be an improvement. The 05 was ok and pretty darn good once revalved.

The YZ250 is a no brainer.....excellent bike.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
Satch0922 said:
The 06 can't help but be a great bike. My 05 has 40 hrs on it and has been flawless. I race and practice at least 2-3 times per month and still have not done the top end. The new forks on the 06 should be an improvement. The 05 was ok and pretty darn good once revalved.

The YZ250 is a no brainer.....excellent bike.

I am 46 and ride for fun so I expect a full year on the top end as well.

Forks were real stiff when new but have been loosening up nicely the last few rides. Still on the original plug!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Don't worry bout the forks being stiff now that got like 5-6 hrs on them they should start feeling good now. It's typical YZ my '02 YZ 125 & 03 YZ 250F where the same. I'm trying to get to the 5 hr mark on both bikes but it's hard trying to split time between to rides now :boss:

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
My '05 YZ250 now has 105.8 hrs...it looks like it's been through hell (I race hare scrambles), but it still runs like a top! This is the first dirt bike I've kept over ~80 hrs., and I've been totally impressed.

yamayz125

Feb 8, 2003
I rode my new Yamaha YZ125 2006 yesterday. Wow, what a difference from my YZ125 01.
Didn`t have to use the clutch so much as I did with my old bike.
The bike was much stronger, even my old bike got another exhaust system and boyesen pro series reeds.
Don`t think I`ll use money at motorwork right away, because the bike is fast enough for me.
Maybe I`ll use some money at the suspension.
It was easy to put it where I wanted, a really fun bike to ride!
Which Wiseco piston fits the bike? Can I use the 05 piston?

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
i really like my bike also. The only things I have done to it was put a skid plate and radiator braces on it. Change the tires and ride it. The bike has been really solid. The only thing I have a problem with is the forks are starting to get soft.

Erik

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I've had 2 dyno sessions this last week on the 05YZ 144.

2 mods that are stand out performers over stock

1. FMF factory fatty and shorty silencer

2. V-force-3 reed valve

Feb 17, 2005
Your 05 forks are getting softer... Do you think its the fork springs or the forks valving thats causing this?

For 06 they claimed to have addressed this issue of the bottoming forks of 05. Although mine is still too new to really know, so far the 06 does have pretty firm bottoming resistance. Funny thing is for 06 they used softer springs than 05, but I think the valving is different and they corrected a few things with spring lenths and stuff. Also the oil height is different.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Added about 2.5HP from upper mid to top. The V-3 was a suprise on how well it performed over stock.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Steve,
I see from your rides and occupation that you are the guy I need to 'talk' to. Just returned last fall to real off road riding with an '03 yz125 & have enjoyed it immensely. Now time to step up a bit to be able to deal with my one area of weakness; greasy, technical (slow speed, no momentum) up hills. Have been considering buying a new yz125 and having Eric do a 144 and debating even if I should try experimenting with my '03, but then there is the lure of modern suspension, etc.
Bottom line, I love the light weight of a 125, but wondering if buying a 250 would be a more logical, and of course more simple, choice for woods riding. I'm capable of adapting and riding anything. Curious what your thoughts are. Thanks for your insight. Ken W.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom